Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to start up a fowlr in a 6 gallon. Any tips? For filtration i was planning on doing just liverock and throw a powerhead in and let nature do the dirty work, does this sound plausible? For lighting i have a standard 13 watt flurescent bulb, is it ok? What are some good fish/ inverts to start out with? Any cycling tips?
All help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Heres what the tank looks like. Theres no salt or anything, and its just normal sand. I had a 3/4 inch con but moved him to a 90 gallon.

Overall length is 16 inches
View attachment 46328

Filters about 3 gph
View attachment 46329

Overall depth is 8 inches
View attachment 46330

Anybody have experience with mini-reefs? Would this filter provide enough flow? Any tips? Right now i'm just trying to get as much information as i can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Umbilical Syllables said:
Heres what the tank looks like. Theres no salt or anything, and its just normal sand. I had a 3/4 inch con but moved him to a 90 gallon.

Overall length is 16 inches
View attachment 46328

Filters about 3 gph
View attachment 46329

Overall depth is 8 inches
View attachment 46330

Anybody have experience with mini-reefs? Would this filter provide enough flow? Any tips? Right now i'm just trying to get as much information as i can.
[snapback]864930[/snapback]​
You are going to have a hard time keeping levels good and taking care of the fish in that tank. Its hard even in my 15 gallon show tank. i recommend going to at least a 10 gallon. just my suggestion. good luck! -Sal

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i had a 6 gallon reef running for quite soem time theres a few post on here with pics it was running for 6 months before i movedd into my 50 gallon

what i would recoomend is if u dont plan on running a skimmer then u should consider setting it up more like a fuge with macro algae in it any water problems i had prior to adding the macro were eliminated immediatly once i added it

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
00nothing said:
i had a 6 gallon reef running for quite soem time theres a few post on here with pics it was running for 6 months before i movedd into my 50 gallon

what i would recoomend is if u dont plan on running a skimmer then u should consider setting it up more like a fuge with macro algae in it any water problems i had prior to adding the macro were eliminated immediatly once i added it
[snapback]866090[/snapback]​
Thanks alot man. The reason i want to try and run it without a skimmer is most sources say that with such a small tank, the protein skimmer sucks too many nutrients and whatnot out of the water, making the water levels even harder to maintain. I was also readin that if i decide to go no filtration, i should have a flowrate of at least twice as much water as in the tank, so 12 gph for my 6g.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Umbilical Syllables said:
Thanks alot man. The reason i want to try and run it without a skimmer is most sources say that with such a small tank, the protein skimmer sucks too many nutrients and whatnot out of the water, making the water levels even harder to maintain. I was also readin that if i decide to go no filtration, i should have a flowrate of at least twice as much water as in the tank, so 12 gph for my 6g.
[snapback]866904[/snapback]​
no probs if u need anymore help with setting it up msg me on msn [email protected] or aol slydeways7 maybe i can help you with all teh deatails

1 - 7 of 7 Posts