Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 5 rbp's that are about 1.5 inches long in a 55g tank. Most of the p's have tail and fin nips from being in the pet shop. I have plenty of guppies and a large feeder comet in the 55 with them now. I was wondering if Melafix Tail and Fin regrowth product was ok to use in my tank. I have heard nothing but good things before and it states it is even safe with invertabrates and snails, also states it will not harm the biological filter. Can I use this stuff. I want my p's to be as healthy as possible. Thanx.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yes I have used this product before and would reccomend it as well. Just be sure to follow the guidelines on teh package as to avoid improper use. Good luck

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
yes it is safe and good, but it sounds unnessasery in your tank.

try adding salt - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Piranha's have an amazing regenerative capacity: fin nips should be healed within two weeks, usually even faster. I have nips occasionally too, but never used meds.
I wouldn't use medication in this case (I try to keep away from chemicals as much as possible, but that's me).

·
Registered
394 Posts
yes melafix is very good i use it when ever my p's have damaged fins and if they have open wounds from fight with each other and etc...
i highly recommend it to all p owners i 've used it for 2yrs now it's great

·
Registered
135 Posts
I as well highly recommend it, my p almost lost his whole tale and that stuff brought it all the way back to normal. it works good

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
All natural medication made from tea tree extract!
Yes, it's highly recommended, still as been said you can use aquarium salt too!
It's never fail to me before!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Would you guys use full dose or half ? Are p's sensitive to this med ?
Ta.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
RHOM said:
yes melafix is very good i use it when ever my p's have damaged fins and if they have open wounds from fight with each other and etc...
i highly recommend it to all p owners i 've used it for 2yrs now it's great
chances are it would have healed un-aided by melafix, not saying it isn't a good product, as it is, but piranhas heal really well.

"Would you guys use full dose or half ? Are p's sensitive to this med ?"

I would 1/2 the dose

·
Registered
15 Posts
alrighty, ill throw my hat into the ring. i use melafix everyday, numerous times a day at work. I find the stuff is a miracle worker, my only gripe is that you do have to follow the dosage inddicated, if you o.d. the stuff clouds your water hardcore, bubbles all over your tank and.... smells. not really bad per say, but smells. so there ya go, my experience with the stuff is that it is Not harsh in any way at all, seeing as 99.9% is tea tree extract its hardly "chemical" at all. the shite works, just dont o.d. unless you wanna water change every 2 days. --->

·
Registered
500 Posts
I use it often aswell,it is a great Med for sensitive Sting Rays.I think it will work great with your Piranha's

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
p.u.guy said:
alrighty, ill throw my hat into the ring. i use melafix everyday, numerous times a day at work. I find the stuff is a miracle worker, my only gripe is that you do have to follow the dosage inddicated, if you o.d. the stuff clouds your water hardcore, bubbles all over your tank and.... smells. not really bad per say, but smells. so there ya go, my experience with the stuff is that it is Not harsh in any way at all, seeing as 99.9% is tea tree extract its hardly "chemical" at all. the shite works, just dont o.d. unless you wanna water change every 2 days. --->
why would you want to use it several times a day, every day?

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
still sounds quite a lot, if you always have a few ill tanks out of 200, do you have a high turnover of fish?

·
Registered
15 Posts
see, we dont always use melafix as a cure for sickness, we use it whenever theyre sluggish or just plain sitting aruond, also when new orders come in. and sometimes for transportation of large fish, it seems to just have a claming effect all around. also, when were out of erythromycin or maracyn, we use it as the next most common anti bacterial.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
OK then, I'll believe you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts