Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
yeah the med. would eventually tear up a red.

G

·
I believe nate and also george have successfully mixed them although i believe nate said when he had it in with his caribe they beat the hell outta him.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Yes I didt it sucsessfully with reds, but with cariba it went south. You want to keep a few things in mind, reds are going to grow alot faster than the medinai will, so I suggest you dont do it unless the reds are at about 7" with the medinai at least 5" that way the size will stay relatively close as compared to young fish. Mine did fine with my 2 Natts, in a 33g tank for about 2 months, then I moved the pygos into a 125g 3 Cariba, 2 Natts for about a month and decided to see if it would work, I let it go for about 2 days and the Medinai wouldnt leave the corner and his fins were frayed up, the cariba were quite mean to it. It can work, but dont start with small Natts and Medinai the Natts will be double its size in a little over a month and then the would most likely eat the Medinai

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
if the red bellies were in a large group then i think they might attack the medinai but with just 2 reds on one med, the medinai would almost definately attack the reds first and kill them. red bellies on average (mind you, i said on average) are more passive and afraid than medinai. yes i have owned both red bellies and medinai.

Joe

·
The ASSMAN
13,346 Posts
Genin said:
if the red bellies were in a large group then i think they might attack the medinai but with just 2 reds on one med, the medinai would almost definately attack the reds first and kill them. red bellies on average (mind you, i said on average) are more passive and afraid than medinai. yes i have owned both red bellies and medinai.

Joe
Joe,
I have owned both also and I understand that not everyone has the same experiences. That being said, I dont think the reds, even being passive and afraid, would stand by and let a medinai kill them. You keep picking on a red and they will fight back. As a whole, reds may not be as aggressive as caribe, but they are built relatively the same and have the same survival instincts. If a red was sick of being picked on, which is what I think the medinai would do, the med is in serious trouble.
This is just what I think would happen, I also think it is not worth trying it out.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
grosse gurke,
your post was well said, and i would agree that if picked on any piranha will fight back. i would also not recommend mixing medinai and red bellies unless you have an extrememly large tank. i think it's a recipe for disaster.

Joe

·
Registered
18,153 Posts
Don't medinai sometimes live in pygo-shoals in the wild, taking advantage of the relative safety of the shoal and the food? I thought I read something about mimicry on your website (here), Genin.
So that would make me think, if you have a big enough tank, it would work out...

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
judazzz yes they do shoal with caribe in the wild on occassion. it's an example of meullerian mimicry (spelling? i am too lazy to look at my page for spelling help). but like i said in my post, it will probably only work if you have an extremely large tank. i intend on getting a very large tank maybe over summer and trying out a medinai and pygo experiment.

Joe

·
Registered
18,153 Posts
Genin said:
i intend on getting a very large tank maybe over summer and trying out a medinai and pygo experiment.

Joe
Do you know what pygo's you'll mix with medinai (I guess cariba, since they live together in the wild), and how many pygo's and how many medinai?
In any case, keep us updated on your plan!

*in Butthead voice* "This is gonna be cool, huhuh"

·
what up NINJA
4,104 Posts
i'm wondering if you are trying to see if your piranha will kill each other or
live peacefully. With the outcome of your experiment, do you expect
it to be an effective hypothesis. Or are you just trying to save tank space
by not having to have seperate tanks. it seems that by having to have
a large tank, then most likely it wont' work out but for a little while. And is your
experiment justifiable by some actually scientific reasoning. Please elaborate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.