Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Here is a list I compiled of medications that are commonly used for a wide spectrum of treatments..I will add more as I have time..This list is meant to help anyone who has issues with some of the more common diseases and parasites and need a quick reference guide to medications.Feel free to add to this list.
There ARE risk when treating any fish with medication..Please be sure to follow the instruction on the bottle carefully and understand medication can not only help but HARM your fish.

Aquarium Salt-- Salt can be used for numerous purposes: General tonic and stress reducer:
Used to improve the efficiency of medications and reduce the harmful effects of nitrite.
Salt is useful in treating ich and fungus, or preventing it.

CopperSafe-- Chelated copper treatment recommended for the treatment of ick, flukes, anchor worms, velvet, protozoan diseases and other external parasites.

Erythromycin Powder--Used for the treatment of the following.
Fin and tail rot

corynebacterium, (kidney disease)

pop eye

Most gram-positive and some gram negative bacteria and fungus.

Gentamycin Sulfate-- Be carefule with this.One of the most powerful gram-negative anti-bacterial on the market today.

Effective in fresh and salt water aquariums. Only 1 dose is usually required. One of the few drugs that is absorbed into the blood stream through the gills.

Levimsole-- Sometimes used as a wormer for fish.

Malachite Green-Use Caution not suggested for piranha- USE

mouth fungus

Can also be used in combination with Formaldehyde solutions.

Maracide-- Maracide is a highly effective treatment for ick Trichodina and related parasitic infestations.

Ick(small white spots may cover entire body

protozoan/velvet (tiny yellowish-white spots, loss of color, rubbing or scratching against bottom)

parasites (extra mucus, visible spots or worms, rapid breathing, flashing and scratching or rubbing on rocks)

MelaFix-- Melafix is a patented 1% mixture of CAS Melaleuca (Tea Tree Oil) which is used to enhance healing in fish.
This product is used for a wide range of external reasons..

Antibacterial Remedy

Rapidly Repairs Damaged Fins

Heals Open Wounds and Ulcers

Stops Mouth Fungus

Treats Fin and Tail Rot

Will not harm biological media in your filters nor will it effect your Ph.

Methylene Blue USE

Fungus on eggs

Ich

fungus and some bacteria

Effective in gill disease.

Nox Ich-- Active ingredients Sodium Chloride, Malachite Green.

Helps control external parasitic diseases including ich and velvet.

PimaFix-- An all natural botanical antibacterial remedy made from Pimenta racemosa (West Indian Bay) oil.

Treats fungal infections

Treats both internal and external bacterial infections

Works in combination with MelaFix to enhance effectiveness for extreme conditions

Eliminates the possibility of the development of resistant strains of disease-causing organisms

Remedy for both freshwater and marine fish

Has no effect on pH

Harmless to aquatic plants

Does not discolor water

Potassium Permanganate-- Potassium permanganate, KMnO 4 , is a chemical oxidizing agent that will react with any organic matter in aquariums. Treats common fish pathogens such as gill parasites and external bacterial and fungal infections.

PraziPro-- Oxybispropanol (as an inert solubilizing agent) and <5% Praziquantel by weight

Controls unwanted parasites in freshwater or marine aquariums

Treats flukes, tapeworms, flatworms and turbellarians

Can be used as a preventative

Safe and effective; will not negatively impact biological filtration

Non-toxic to commonly kept aquarium animals and plants

Tetracycline-- A broad-spectrum antibiotic used in the treatment of gram-positive and some gram-negative bacterial infections.

For infections of fin and tail rot, frayed fins,

popeye

inflamed gills,

mouth and body open sores/ulcers

livebearer disease

dropsy,

Columnaris, and secondary infections such as fungal

. Useful for the control of some common bacterial diseases, including Aeromonias and Pseudomonas Genera and the Mysobacterial group.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t&#33;&#33;&#33;
4,364 Posts
pinn this. great info. thanks for taking the time. must have had a break in your busy schedule.LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
some of them u need to take the carbon out of your tank
prazi-pro for sure

·
these cold eyes lock much wonder...
5,532 Posts
Tetracycline-- cool i didnt know that could be used for fish.
i got some for my birds pigeons mostly cuz it seems thay are always getting sick with somthin,,,what about garlic?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
You should add a disclaimer that you and P-Fury are not responsible for any results good or bad and also you should for each med add a comment stating the danger level to Tetras, Piranha, and other Characins. I tried to do something like this a couple years ago and it really blossomed into a monster project to have it done right. I gave up, and decided to take topics on a case by case basis. Have fun with this and you'll probably learn alot on your own by doing it.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't feel this needs a disclaimer...There are tons of topics that ppl give advice on around here daily and none have disclaimers...This is just a list of meds and what they do..If anyone uses a med and has ill effects then I suppose they should have read the warnings and directions on the back of the bottle before they dosed their fish and come crying to p-fury...I may add the danger level thing though....

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
You should add a disclaimer that you and P-Fury are not responsible for any results good or bad and also you should for each med add a comment stating the danger level to Tetras, Piranha, and other Characins. I tried to do something like this a couple years ago and it really blossomed into a monster project to have it done right. I gave up, and decided to take topics on a case by case basis. Have fun with this and you'll probably learn alot on your own by doing it.
I agree to this. Piranhas are really sensitive to a number meds listed here too. A strong antibiotic Tetracycline will probably also kill many nitrifying bacteria.

Harry

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
I don't feel this needs a disclaimer...There are tons of topics that ppl give advice on around here daily and none have disclaimers...This is just a list of meds and what they do..If anyone uses a med and has ill effects then I suppose they should have read the warnings and directions on the back of the bottle before they dosed their fish and come crying to p-fury...I may add the danger level thing though....
I agree, it was only meant as a suggestion. But for a topic that is heading to the "pinned" area eventually I think it will be appropriate. Maybe not a disclaimer, but a warning....

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bump

·
4,364 Posts
Someone pin this please. Tons of great info. I would hate to see it lost in the never ending pages of the forum.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
What i'll do is move this to the "Saved Topics". It is definitely worthwhile to have it there.
to Saved Topics

·
4,364 Posts
hey, I'm using your thread again. lol. I knew it would be tons of help!!!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good to see it's getting use...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts