Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have been dealing with whitespot for a while now and i just finished 2 weeks of high salt and temp treatment. So far there has been very little improvement and i was wondering what other options i have with regards to meds. Any suggestions are appreciated

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Hey man i dont know to much about this kinda stuff but post some pics for the guys who know alot about it and will be able to help u out.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
Sometimes when salt is used frequently a parasite will build a resistance and sometimes it is necessary to resort to 0.6% salinity compared to 0.3% salinity levels. If meds are necessary than malachite green and formalin combination should do the trick. Caution should be used w/ malachute green and piranha. Monitor the fish closely and be prepared to intervene with a quick water change if necessary. For piranha dose malachite green at half dosage. White spot can be ich, velvet, or another type parasite. Does it look like the fish was sprinkled with salt or does it look like it was dipped in flour.

·
Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
12,264 Posts
One thing you should mention is location. I know certain meds are off-limit in other countries that one could buy here with no problem. Don't worry if you're somewhere illegal--just a nation will suffice.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Describe the "white spots" more. From the description it sounds like Ich. If that is the case higher levels of salt the water temp should do the trick. Plus, if you have a UV sterilizer that will also help.

If not, any treatment with copper will knock the Ich right out. However, as stated above piranhas are very sensitive to meds so be careful with dosing them.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the white spots are only on the heads of the piranha. I will post pics in a few days when my exams are over. It doesnt look like they were dipped in flour. I would lean more towards a few grains of salt on them. For a while i thought it was ich so i had the temp up to 85 and the high salt treatment going for 15 days. No real improvement with the salt. It is time for me to use meds because i dont want to lose any caribe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.