Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of pics of people taking their fish out of the water, placing them on towels and measuring them. I've considered doing this to see how big mine actually are, without guessing. The water refracts the light of course, and I can't be sure.

Does this stress the fish alot? I'm curious of their sizes, but if it's harmful to them, then I don't want to do it. Can someone help me out here? Thanks in advance for the input.

·
"The Video Pimp"
1,401 Posts
it is stressful for them because first you case them around with the net then take them out of water but if you do it quickly it shouldn't be any more stress than cleaning the tank. i have never done it but have seen many people do it. use damn or wet paper towel to lay them on.

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
I hate taking mine out of the tank.

It's a pain in the ass . I can't think of any reason that I would need to stress myself or my fish out to know within 1/8th of an inch how long they are.
Holding a tape measure to the tank and using a net to guide the fish to the side of the tank and getting a picture is close enough for me .

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks a lot! I'll do that winkyee. I'm always concerned about them being happy and don't want to hurt them. I think they're about 5" now and the big one is losing his juvenile spots. I'll get out the big net, a tape measure and the digicam and find out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I did it to a few of my fish. 4 of my fish i did it to when they were brand new and i measured them that way before i put them into the tank. I did it to another one when i was changing tanks so he had to be netted and moved anyway. I layed out a nice size towel and wet it with aquarium water, then i net the fish and lay it on the towel, hold it down with the net for a few seconds until it stops freaking out, lay out the tape measure and snap the pic quickly and slap him into the tank.

Looks something like this:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I ended up netting the Cichlid to get him out of there while he still had a chance. I had to move him anyways to get him to the hospital. He's not near as big as he looked in the big tank. There's a pic in the Sick Fish forum.

Thanks for the advice all, I appreciate it.

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
i always worried about the fish flipping and sh*t and i see it done so much i guess after awile the fish calms down then again can u blame him he cant breathe i'd relax too lol

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Stressful but accurate...
!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.