Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the meanest piranha, I mean one that is very vicious and will attack food in front of you.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Theres plenty of piranhas that will eat in front of you. All piranhas will eat in front of you in due time. Heres a few, if you looking for feeding frenzy get caribe or other pygos. Solitary fish get serrasalmus, rhoms, spilos, brandti, elongatus just to name a few. Meanest is kinda broad.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
thats more of an opinion question if anything ... Not sure exactly how you would classify "mean" in a fish ... If you want a fish that will eat in front of you this doesnt make it mean. Do you want a solitary fish or a shoaling fish?
How about you got get yourself some RBP's ... they will eat in front of you if thats what you want
or go get a rhom, many people say it is the "meanest" fish ... but its not going to shoal for yah like a RBP, and its not likly to eat in font of you.
and If you are looking for a mean fish why dont I suggest you get yourself a Midas or something along the lines of that, if that is all you are in search of. P's have alot more to offer than just "mean"

·
Registered
891 Posts
black rhoms are most aggressive and mean alone but cant be in schools. if u get alot of reds like about 10 in a school they are the most aggressive. but solo reds are boring.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
you can't truly judge which is going to be the meanest because every fish has its own personality. you may get a total badass red and a wussy rhom. on average though large rhoms and caribe are the way to go for aggression, also i have heard a shoal of spilo are incredible.

Joe

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like a shoal of pygos. Reds being the most common. Under the right circumstances they will practically tear up anything that goes into the tank. Whether its a source of food or simply another creature that steps into their turf. I have 8- 5-7" reds which are awesome to watch during a feeding frenzy. If they are well adapted to being in a room with a lot of traffic they will certainly put on a vicious show during feeding time.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I agree with Genin on this. I've read plenty of posts where people are upset with the lack of aggression of their rhoms...often because when they're young they're shy. But my experience with my rhom is he's one mean mofo. I tried putting in a pleco to clean the tank, killed the pleco just because, carcass minus the head was lying at the bottom of my tank. I'm very happy with my rhom, its often just the luck of the draw, it might have some to do with the conditions of the tank as well.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Black Piranha said:
black rhoms are most aggressive and mean alone but cant be in schools. if u get alot of reds like about 10 in a school they are the most aggressive. but solo reds are boring.
No offence a shoal of reds are not the most aggressive, a shoal of cariba, Maybe a shoal of piraya,And maybe shoal of gold spilo. Nothing against reds they are nice and can be aggressive but no where near the most aggressive, Im just getting tried of seeing that.

I guarentee alot of people will back me.

A Rhom is the most aggressive solo or a Brandti.

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
Most of what you are hearing is complete crap. The fact of the matter is, which a few have stated, that you flip a coin each time you buy a fish.
People speak from personal experience and what they hear. Most have not had every species of p and so they interject what they have heard, and people, by nature, tend to talk up their fish. And because we all provide a different enviorment for out fish, I dont see how we can expect the same behavior.
I might not know everything, but I have had enough p's and read enough posts to know that aggression is an individual trait and some fish have more of it than others.
You may have a better chance at getting an aggressive fish based on species, but that is it. It is a flip of the coin.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
my Elongatus attacks anything you put into the tank, algea scrappers, fish nets, fingers :laughlong: , feeders, his reflection, anything

most people report similar aggression, however mine seams to have a little more of a territory dispute than most others, I feel that is why he is a little extra aggressive

and when he attacks he will do it by ramming into the thing full speed with his mouth open and do it until the stimuli is removed

but Elongatus are one of the more expensive fish, so a Medinai or a Spilo, both of which act very similar would be great choices, I would give the upper hand to medinai though, I think they look much better

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
take a look to see what is available, and get the one(s) you like.
just don't try and shoal any kind of Serrasalmus.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Innes said:
just don't try and shoal any kind of Serrasalmus.
Well ,there are some species that have been kept together succesfully: Hareball from pfish has an incredible group of S. Geryi in one tank, and S. Irritans have been shoaled as well.
But these are exceptions: in general, Innes is right

·
Registered
698 Posts
"my Elongatus attacks anything you put into the tank, algea scrappers, fish nets, fingers , feeders, his reflection, anything

most people report similar aggression, however mine seams to have a little more of a territory dispute than most others, I feel that is why he is a little extra aggressive"

Ok, I'll bite, how come you always have the meanest, baddest fishes around while the rest of us have wimps for fish?

From Frank:

"The most dangerous and aggressive pirana is the one flopping around the floor near your feet, the rest is in your imagination."

Thought I would share that cause I've seen Frank post it so many times over stuff like the above I just read.

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
fishman2 said:
"my Elongatus attacks anything you put into the tank, algea scrappers, fish nets, fingers , feeders, his reflection, anything

most people report similar aggression, however mine seams to have a little more of a territory dispute than most others, I feel that is why he is a little extra aggressive"

Ok, I'll bite, how come you always have the meanest, baddest fishes around while the rest of us have wimps for fish?
Fishman2,
Check out my post right before Nates, That is exactly what I meant by "talking up their fish". Unfortunately Nate is not the only one who does this, and there is always a chance that Nate has the baddest elongatus that was ever spawned.
It gets very old reading" My 3 inch rhom killed 17 feeders and then jumped out of the tank and attacked my girlfriend, is this normal or do I just have a very aggressive rhom?"
Oh well, I think it is the nature of the beast when you are dealing with any aggressive animal. The old "my dad is tougher than your dad" syndrome.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
grosse gurke said:
My 3 inch rhom killed 17 feeders and then jumped out of the tank and attacked my girlfriend, is this normal or do I just have a very aggressive rhom?
Damn it man, don't joke about that

Still having nightmares about that hell-bent mofo

Btw: I was a noob when I posted that question, so cut me some slack

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
Judazzz said:
grosse gurke said:
My 3 inch rhom killed 17 feeders and then jumped out of the tank and attacked my girlfriend, is this normal or do I just have a very aggressive rhom?
Damn it man, don't joke about that

Still having nightmares about that hell-bent mofo

Btw: I was a noob when I posted that question, so cut me some slack
:laughlong: :laughlong: :laughlong:

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
If have to say brandti they greet you when you come in the room and will take your finger off if you put it in the aquarium

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Im not the one who talked this fish up, alot of pfish members that have seen it in life are the ones who said it, I am the one who eventually got knifeman to sell it to me,

all fish have individual charactersitics, some are meaner than others, some are more skittish, ............

you have never seen my fish, so you really dont know what the heck you are talking about

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
fishman2 said:

From Frank:

"The most dangerous and aggressive pirana is the one flopping around the floor near your feet, the rest is in your imagination."

Thought I would share that cause I've seen Frank post it so many times over stuff like the above I just read.
never said other people dont have mean fish, I buy and then sell off my least aggressive fish until I get very active and aggressive ones, that is why all of my fish are mean, I went through a selection process, you seam like you are Franks post slave, all you ever reply with is "Frank said" lets hear what you have to say, Frank can post for himself

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.