Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the normal maximum size a RBP reaches in captivity? I did a quick search here but didn't find this answered.

Great forum!!!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
On average they get somewhere in the 10-12" range.
The largest one I have heard of measured 16" Total Length, it was a very old specimen (and I think 16" is quite exceptional).

·
"Bruce Lee" the Legend
5,194 Posts
there is no normal maxium size. Size will vary depending upon the type of care it was given, i.e. diet, water quality, tank size.

·
Registered
658 Posts
At the Blue Planet Aquarium in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, They have some monster piranhas. A couple of them must be around 15-16" and about 6" wide. I couldnt believe the size of them when I first saw them. The display is excellent I would recommend visiting it if you live in the north-wets of England.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the feedback. I was looking for personnal experience in home aquariums. Didn't know if most topped out in home aquariums around 9-10 inches or if they grew larger.

I do understand that diet, water quality, and tank size play a role in this.

Thanks again for the feedback!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Morpheus said:
At the Blue Planet Aquarium in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, They have some monster piranhas. A couple of them must be around 15-16" and about 6" wide. I couldnt believe the size of them when I first saw them. The display is excellent I would recommend visiting it if you live in the north-wets of England.
[snapback]831696[/snapback]​
I'll be in England in March... How far is this from London?

·
RHoM L0V3R
1,236 Posts
BIG....
These 16 inch BEASTS can be seen at the camden aquarium in New Jersey

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
wow those things are chunky!

as for max size in the home aquaria you are looking at around 12 in mabey larger depending on tank size, diet, and water.

·
RHoM L0V3R
1,236 Posts
The reds I posted are kept in a 500g aquarium and the inhabiants include 5 very large red bellys and a gold nugget pleco.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i think i'll wait on getting that 300+ gallon tank until i get my house built, then i can have some of those full grown p's.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
i live about ten minutes form the aquarium in cherry hill; i don't usually get to camden if i can avoid it, but the p's at the aquarium beckon!

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I have seen the Ps in Cambden last year and they are freaking huge. I would have to agree that in the home aquaria you are looking at an 11" red, maybe 12".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts