Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Too tasty to give up.
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate geometery....geometery sucks. My class got a test and the average was a 54, our teacher gave us a packet due tomorrow thats worth 50 points. I got a 75 on the test, I'm going for a 125 which would give me a 96 average for the quarter rather than the current 86.

Here are the problems that I didnt figure out.

1)The owner of a movie theater was counting the money from 1 day's ticket sales. He knew that a total of 150 tickets were sold. Adult tickets cost 7.5 each and children's tickets cost 4.75 each. If the total receipts for the day were 891.25, how many of each kind of ticket were sold?

2) Solve the following system of equations algebraically.

y = x^2 + 2x - 1
y = 3x + 5

I have no clue about this, we did it like 2 years ago.

Oh and if you can show the work, much obliged. BTW she said we're allowed to get help since this is a take home packet.

· Too tasty to give up.
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sh*t, there's this Venn diagram one.

The accompanying Venn diagram shows the number of students who take various courses. All students in circle A take mathematics. All in circle B take science. All in circle C take technology. What percentage of the students take mathematics or technology?

15 take only math. 4 take Math and science. 7 takee math and tech. 2 take all. Science only is 8. 6 take science and tech. And 8 only take tech.

My question is do I have add all of them and take the probability from that or what? If you want you can tell me the answer :laugh:

· Registered
2,081 Posts

y = x^2 + 2x - 1
y = 3x + 5

3x + 5 = x^2 +2x -1

0=x^2-x-6
0=(x-3)(x+2)

therefore, x = 3,-2

if x= 3

y= 3(3)+5=14

or if x=-2
y=3(-2)+5=-1

therefore

the solutions are: (3,14) and (-2, -1)

This question is simply finding the intesection points of a line and parabola, could be done graphically as well.

· The Lord Himself is Life to me
3,861 Posts
scrubbs said:
x= number of adult tickets
y=number of childs tickets

x+y=150
(7.50)x+(4.50)y=891.25

solve for x and y

x=65
y=85

so, 65 adult tickets and 85 child tickets.
[snapback]849457[/snapback]​
I concur

3,861 Posts
scrubbs said:

y = x^2 + 2x - 1
y = 3x + 5
3x + 5 = x^2 +2x -1

0=x^2-x-6
0=(x-3)(x+2)

therefore, x = 3,-2

if x= 3

y= 3(3)+5=14

or if x=-2
y=3(-2)+5=-1

therefore

the solutions are: (3,14) and (-2, -1)

This question is simply finding the intesection points of a line and parabola, could be done graphically as well.
[snapback]849465[/snapback]​
that's what I go too.

· Registered
987 Posts
crazyklown89 said:
I hate geometery....geometery sucks. My class got a test and the average was a 54, our teacher gave us a packet due tomorrow thats worth 50 points. I got a 75 on the test, I'm going for a 125 which would give me a 96 average for the quarter rather than the current 86.

Here are the problems that I didnt figure out.

1)The owner of a movie theater was counting the money from 1 day's ticket sales. He knew that a total of 150 tickets were sold. Adult tickets cost 7.5 each and children's tickets cost 4.75 each. If the total receipts for the day were 891.25, how many of each kind of ticket were sold?

2) Solve the following system of equations algebraically.

y = x^2 + 2x - 1
y = 3x + 5

I have no clue about this, we did it like 2 years ago.

Oh and if you can show the work, much obliged. BTW she said we're allowed to get help since this is a take home packet.
[snapback]849440[/snapback]​
these problems arent that bad. Here is the best work i can show you while on a chat forum, if you cannot read my math translation, pm me nad i will scan my work sheet to you.

1) tickets sold:150
Adult tickets: 65 Tickets * 7.5 Cost = 487.5
Childrens ticket: 85 Tickets * 4.75 Cost = 403.75
---------

2) y = x^2 + 2x - 1
y = 3x + 5

you have two equations so you no the value of y due to the second equation. You just set them equal to eachother by sustituting the vaule of y in the second equation for the value of y in the first

3x + 5 = x^2 + 2x - 1
5 = x^2 - x -1
0 = x^2 - x - 6
Now you can find the zeros and even graph the parabola.
(x -3)(x+2) = 0
Zeros = (3,0),(-2,0)
x = 3 , -2

Tell me if that helped you.

· Too tasty to give up.
6,754 Posts
You guys are awesome, I fuckin love you.

Wow it took 2 years and piranha fish forum and I finally understand system of equations.

3,861 Posts
This problem is a bit ambiguous. The reason is in math, the "or" phrase is satisfied by the "and" phrase. So if we want the percentage of students who are taking math or tech. If someone is taking both math and tech, he is technically taking math or tech. I know it's confusing but that's the way it is in math logic, unless it is explicitly stated " but not both." I am guessing though your teacher meant "but not both", hopefully. So the total number of students taking classes is 50. And 23 students are taking math or tech but not both, so 23/50 ~ 46%. Or if you are interpreting strictly, you include the 7 who are taking both math and tech as well and you get 30/50~ 60%.

· Too tasty to give up.
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SLANTED said:
This problem is a bit ambiguous. The reason is in math, the "or" phrase is satisfied by the "and" phrase. So if we want the percentage of students who are taking math or tech. If someone is taking both math and tech, he is technically taking math or tech. I know it's confusing but that's the way it is in math logic, unless it is explicitly stated " but not both." I am guessing though your teacher meant "but not both", hopefully. So the total number of students taking classes is 50. And 23 students are taking math or tech but not both, so 23/50 ~ 46%. Or if you are interpreting strictly, you include the 7 who are taking both math and tech as well and you get 30/50~ 60%.
[snapback]849498[/snapback]​
I got the first answer myself.
Thanks man.

In the tickets for the movies one, how do you guys get 65 and 85?

3,861 Posts
x + y = 150 (1)

7.5x + 4.75y = 891.25 (2)

set y = 150 - x

substitute into equation (2) and solve for x.

Put x value into equation (1) to get y value.

And voila!

· Too tasty to give up.
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SLANTED said:
x + y = 150 (1)

7.5x + 4.75y = 891.25 (2)

set y = 150 - x

substitute into equation (2) and solve for x.

Put x value into equation (1) to get y value.

And voila!
[snapback]849510[/snapback]​
Wow...I feel like a douchebag, that was too easy.

Thanks a lot you guys are fuckin awesome!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.