Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
314 Posts
I need help properly identifying this fish It was sold to me by shark aquarium as a marginatus and I love the fish just trying to properly id it after someone suggested it might be a altuvei..

· Registered
10,481 Posts
Kilohead36 Posted Yesterday, 09:42 PM
I need help properly identifying this fish It was sold to me by shark aquarium as a marginatus and I love the fish just trying to properly id it after someone suggested it might be a altuvei..
S. marginatus has a dark "V" at the caudal base with a hyaline tail. It also posesses small and large round spots. On this fish photo, I cannot tell about the tail in how it is formed since it is cut off. As for body spotting, I see small bars and spots, suggesting a compressus group member. The angle that the body is shown is slightly bent so can't tell much from that either. My recommendation is get a better, clearer photo without angle.

· I HAVE THE SOUVLAKI POWER!!!!!
3,119 Posts
As i can see and Frank jas also stated the spots on the fish are extended forming short stripes which isn't a Marginatus characteristic.

Frank here is the tail of this fish as posted in another post......

What do you think Frank?I would say more Compressus than Altuvei....

· Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a much better and clearer picture of my fish..I have been pulling my hair out trying to get a clear picture..It was always the wrong angle or my plant blocked him or he hid behind the driftwood..Hastus I hope this give a better idea..

· Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks finally for helping me out..It took me days to get a decent pic for a ref. shot..By the way his teeth are enormous which isnt really depicted in photo..Once I appreciate your help..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.