Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
nice pics carl cant wait till the next time i see them in the flesh.
nice one and that marginatus looks like a marginatus unlike my rhom/spilo hahahahahaha
dixon

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it came from George Fear at Shark Aquarium.

It was shipped to the UK mid september last year, it was 2" long then, now 6".

Apart from that ... I'm afraid that the only other info I have concerns its aquarium behaviour, growth rate, agressiveness, etc etc

carl

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The basic colour of the fish is silver, although as it gets larger it is definitely developing a more golden sheen to the sides.

The dorsal surface and head are metallic green.

As you will see from the picture, the anal fin is quite strongly curved and is yellow / gold in colour.

The caudal fin has two black bands and a distinct black 'V' on the posterior edge

The head is small (especially when compared to other serrsalmus of a similar size)

The lower jaw is fairly long and jaw is strong, with lower jaw protruding the upper, also the mouth faces upwards slightly.

The pattern is distinct with large, but irregular blotches.

As i said the fish has grown approximately 4" in just under 1 year.

It is currently kept in a 20gallon tank (just had to move it to make way for my electric eel).

it is fed once per day with whitebait, smelts and defrosted raw and cooked tiger prawns. It has a very big appetite for a serrasalmus species (in my experience)

As it has grown it has become much more active and now actually comes to thfront of the tank when I approach. I used to have it in a divided tank where it showed no interest in the elongatus that lived on the other side of the divide. (unlike the small rhoms that I have that contsntly battle with one another through the divider)

Hope this helps

Carl

Oh yes, tank kept at 80 degrees, pH 7.4 hardness ... you don't want to know !

·
Registered
539 Posts
Nice fish

i wish i could be able to get one also!
nice pics, if you can take some more please post em!!!

Oburi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts