Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my new manny for more than 1 month. it is about 4''. I am very interested in this fish so I want to know more about it. is there anyone willing to share your experience on the following questions?

1. when will the manny put the red color on its gill? because my manny just has some yellow there and I notice most of the bigger ones will show red color on it.

2. is the manny's aggression coming along with its size? I know it might need a long time to let it get used to the new environment. but a long time means it will grow bigger too. so I really wander if its aggression not only comes from its being used to the tank but also from its growth.

3. do juvenile mannies show less aggression to its tank mates? I have a 2.5'' cichlid and a 8'' Polypterus ornatipinnis in the manny's tank. the cichlid got some tail bitten but still swims around the manny time to time. the manny just ignores it. and the manny seems to be afraid of the Polypterus ornatipinnis very much, which is not an aggressive fish at all!

I know each fish has it personality. but each species will have something in common. so I like to know some experience besides my fish. any comment is appreciated.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
first i would have siad gouldingi but now i think manny either yellow or red cant see any clouration, but it will come in time, so will the agression (no-garuniteont hat tho).
the tank mates will get eaten eventualy when hes hungry.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
1. The lack of color is probably due to stress or not feeling comfortable yet. My Manny needed a while before his true colors started to appear
Besides that, your fish is still quite young - just be patient: with proper care and pristine water he'll be fine.

2. I'm not sure agression/boldness is related to a fish' size, although I can imagine that a larger fish would feel more confident than a smaller one.
But I think the key is comfort - the more at ease a fish feels, the more natural/bold behaviour it'll exibit.

3. My Manny is very agressive towards me and towards active, free-swimming fish. But bottomdwellers are hardly even noticed.
As said, agession (towards its owner as well as tank mates) depends on the comfort level - if a fish feels at home, he'll be more outgoing and boisterous than a fish that is still getting used to his surroundings.

Nice little Manny, btw

· Registered
986 Posts
Give him time to feel comfortable, it may even take a year depends how your manny adjust to the environment and to you as well. For his coloration on it s gill feed him shrimp and krill more often than fish cuz the shells are nutritional for your piranha to develope its potential coloration i believe.

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks all! I really don't know if my manny feels comfortable in its tank or not right now. because when I am not in front of the tank it always try to get through the divider where my 6'' rhom is there waiting for it. it shows no fear to the rhom. (at first it just stayed on the other side of the tank). but it is afraid of the Polypterus ornatipinnis. it makes me confuse.
will adding some decoration help? or I'd better let it be?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.