Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a manderin dragonet and I feel very wstupid because I didn't research it before I bought it. I know I know. I did a little research and I got some info anyone have any experiances with these beautifull fish?

·
Registered
90 Posts
well they area a lovely fish how long have you had your tank setup be sure to monitor him for the first week they are veryhard to look after.
the reason i ask how long have you had your tank set up because they live on pods and eat them by the hundreds and if your tank isnt that old he will certinly die but there is a pellet food you can feed them ask your local fish store abouot the food

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
They eat copepods and i havent seen any eat anything else. (Not that theres not, but i have never heard of them eating anything else) Take him back if you can it will mostlikely starve unless you can get it to eat.
Try a search on frozen copepods i think someone out there sells it, But i cant remember. Thats your best bet, and who knows if it will eat it.
Do you have liverock?

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Thats good! Glad to hear he's eating.

·
Registered
232 Posts
goodnews said:
He is eating live brine. and if I take him back he'll die at the petstore... I'm ganna try my best.
[snapback]934425[/snapback]​
Thats awesome..most die as they refuse substitute foods. If hes eating youve more than won 1/2 the battle! IME if they dont eat preped foods you need a mature reef with a deep sand bed or a good amount of life laden LR to sustain them. You should be fine if hes eating brine, once established they are very hardy. Also, males seem to be hardier from my exp....males have a longer pointed first dorsal ray (the fist fin on thier back is considerably onlger than those that follow) abd just seem to live longer in general.

Nick

·
Registered
225 Posts
So hows it going with your fish, i was thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got one of those fish after seeing it on my local petstore inside an algea filled tank, at first I don't want to buy it because people said it hard to keep but after I saw the condition of his tank I decided I have to get him out of there. And now he lives in my 55g tank and I haven't seen him so often he spend his time eating behide the rocks in my tank.

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,963 Posts
i have heard of people getting theres to feed on brine, it is possible but not common, sat this point there isnt much point in returning to the LFS since it will most likely not recive the proper diet there either atleast you are trying to care for it properly.. good luck

·
Registered
24,433 Posts
Let me put it this way. I have a 100 gallon reef tank full of live rock that has been going for 2 years. The mandarin that I got is slowly starving and wont eat live brine shrimp.

I'm going to really hate watching him slowly starve and I'll see what else I can try, but I'd advise against these fish unless you have the huge tank, lots of live rock, a healthy animal to start with, and few competitors. But even then (which is where I was), you may still have a sad situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts