Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Piranha are not sexually demographic.
So you cannot tell them apart until they breed.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Piranha are not sexually demographic.
So you cannot tell them apart until they breed.
Well, there are piranha demographics, but they're not sexually dimorphic.

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
if you want to know which one is female or male lok for the one laying the eggs..............

other than that its not possible as taylor said, you will have to cut them open

·
Registered
416 Posts
....and the one guarding the nest is male

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
"SEXING AND REPRODUCTION:

The species is not sexually dimorphic. Breeders of piranhas in the home aquarium note visual differences between the sexes, but this scrutiny is limited to fish that are observed for a period of time, up to and including pre-spawning activity. Then some differences can be noted, but subtle due to such activity. References to body girth or coloration is limited to the female being full of roe and the male in pre-spawning colors. Other references to thickness of first ray of anal or body girth is inconsequential to visually attempt to determine sex when the fish are observed in the wild and in a large group. Therefore it is of no value in determining sexual morphs of the species." *
* OPEFE: http://www.opefe.com/nattereri.html

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

The species is not sexually dimorphic. Breeders of piranhas in the home aquarium note visual differences between the sexes, but this scrutiny is limited to fish that are observed for a period of time, up to and including pre-spawning activity. Then some differences can be noted, but subtle due to such activity. References to body girth or coloration is limited to the female being full of roe and the male in pre-spawning colors. Other references to thickness of first ray of anal or body girth is inconsequential to visually attempt to determine sex when the fish are observed in the wild and in a large group. Therefore it is of no value in determining sexual morphs of the species." *

EDIT: and once again I prove that I'm an idiot.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts

EDIT: and once again I prove that I'm an idiot.
[/quote]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts