Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating whether to get an eheim classic 2217(I like the simple design, price, and longevity), but a little nervous about disturbing the biofilter on it when doing maintenence(since there are no media baskets). Anybody have an idea or experience with this filter and how much your biofilter is disturbed when removing the media? Or maybe just go with an XP3? damn I'd like to get an eheim but the "pro 2" models just dont seem worth their cost vs other filters. I want a classic but, damn I dont know! Help

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I'm debating whether to get an eheim classic 2217(I like the simple design, price, and longevity), but a little nervous about disturbing the biofilter on it when doing maintenence(since there are no media baskets). Anybody have an idea or experience with this filter and how much your biofilter is disturbed when removing the media? Or maybe just go with an XP3? damn I'd like to get an eheim but the "pro 2" models just dont seem worth their cost vs other filters. I want a classic but, damn I dont know! Help
It is true that Eheim Classic is much more difficult to clean. It is important that bio media is not disturbed, only rinsed lightly with the water from the same tank (never tap water).
In case of Pro II models, the baskets can easily be lifted and then like dipped into a container filled with tank water.

If cost is not such a big issue and longevity + reliability are, then go get Pro II.

Harry

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well cost is always an issue for me, but I will wash the bio-media in tank water and stuff, but how much does scooping the media out etc, vs lifting them out in a basket differ as far as disturbing the biofilter. Here's my dilemma I can get the classic 2217 which is good for tanks up to like 160g or spend 60$ more and get a 2026 which is only good for up to 90g, just for getting instant prime(which I know many people who don't even use, and media baskets, I like the baskets but for 60$ more damn, and only good for 90g tanks WTF?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Go for an xp3 or xp4 then. They're half the price I guess and they do a good job. That's what I had on my tank before. I'm not sure of the prices but you could get 2 xp3 for the price of an eheim filter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
mit as well go for the xp3 cuz i dread cleaning my classic 2217, i end up takin the whole filter to the bathroom n i gota take the whole intake tube w/ me since it comes from the bottom n it will leak otherwise

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go for an xp3 or xp4 then. They're half the price I guess and they do a good job. That's what I had on my tank before. I'm not sure of the prices but you could get 2 xp3 for the price of an eheim filter.
Actually buy the time I put media in the xp3 it will cost exactly the same.

Hemptation88 does yurs have the quick disconnects, I havent heard many probelms with cleaning them just it takes a bit longer.

The xp3 scares me though Ive read too many threads about leaks/air getting in from having to many connections etc. Only prob Ive heard from eheims were cleaning and priming(but with the disconnects really shouldnt have to prime again since the water is held in the tubes?!

·
Registered
193 Posts
nope no qucik disconnects, the tubes basically screw into the filter.. i dont think any classics have quick disconnect, i guess its not too bad but since i have to pro II i guess im jus a lil spoiled to how much easier it is

if you do end up getting the classic an easy way to prime it jus by using ur python tube if you have one and put it on suck mode and jus put it tube to tube on the exhaust or output tube..this is alot better than jus sucking w/ ur mouth like a whore

·
Serras n Snakes
3,571 Posts
In the 10 plus years of running my Eheims I've never had any problems after servicing them. I have a couple of small rubbermaid containers that I use to put the different medias in when I'm cleaning the filters.

nope no qucik disconnects, the tubes basically screw into the filter.. i dont think any classics have quick disconnect, i guess its not too bad but since i have to pro II i guess im jus a lil spoiled to how much easier it is

if you do end up getting the classic an easy way to prime it jus by using ur python tube if you have one and put it on suck mode and jus put it tube to tube on the exhaust or output tube..this is alot better than jus sucking w/ ur mouth like a whore
All of my Eheim Classic filters came with quick dis-connects. Here's a quote from Big Al's "The 2217 is suitable for aquariums up to 160 gallons and has a pump output of 264 GPH. Comes complete with media (Ehfisubtrat, Ehfimech and fine and coarse filter pads) and quick disconnect valves."

Priming is easy ... leave the canister EMPTY, hook up the dis-connects, open up the output valve, then open the intake and the water that comes in forces the air out the output.

·
Registered
193 Posts

All of my Eheim Classic filters came with quick dis-connects. Here's a quote from Big Al's "The 2217 is suitable for aquariums up to 160 gallons and has a pump output of 264 GPH. Comes complete with media (Ehfisubtrat, Ehfimech and fine and coarse filter pads) and quick disconnect valves."

Priming is easy ... leave the canister EMPTY, hook up the dis-connects, open up the output valve, then open the intake and the water that comes in forces the air out the output.
[/quote]

jus wondering what you mean by quick disconnects.. are you talkin bout where the tube meets the canister and it just comes out? i figured quick disconnect was the thing i have on my pro II that just disconnects both tubes from the canister w/ jus a flick

·
Serras n Snakes
3,571 Posts

[/quote]

jus wondering what you mean by quick disconnects.. are you talkin bout where the tube meets the canister and it just comes out? i figured quick disconnect was the thing i have on my pro II that just disconnects both tubes from the canister w/ jus a flick
[/quote]

Some store call them quick disconnects and some call them tap connectors, regardless there is a "male" part and female part and they fit together. There are two grey levers that you turn to either let the water flow or shut it off. Here's a pic from Big Al's ...

Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun Auto part

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts