Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have experience lost of their Ps...... Pls share your thoughts on what is their main cause of death?

To me they are a very hardy fish.....
can withstand bad water condition...... has the ability to grow back fins quickly..........so I am wondering....... what usually cause them to die?

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I have never lost a piranha, but I lost a few silver dollers to slime desiese and heater explosions.

people lose their piranhas to other piranhas quite often

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
blueinfinity said:
heaters blew up?

ouch that would suck
yeah, only the bottom feeders survived - I woke up to fing only about 6 out of 20-25 fish were still alive

I was only about 13 at the time

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
All my fish's death was from agression and they were sick to begin with when i bought them from crap stores. Usually i heal them back to full health but sometimes i dont noticed that they are sick and it was too late to cure them

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Dang heater exploded!? Now Im worried,can I do anything to prevent that or was there just a mistake that you did that caused it? I just got my new rbp a mounth ago and it would be nice to keep stuff like that from happening,I would be sad.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I have a spilo in a hospital tank that I almost lost to some sort of disease. I have been treating him with an assortment of mardel products for the past week and a half or so. First time I have been unlucky enough to have a fish be infected with a desease. Good thing the others werent. Probly because I have the uv on the 180. [email protected] dirty goldfish. I( would be willing to guess that 75% of desease and parasites catch a ride on feeders into your P tanks.

~Dj

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I've lost a couple of baby reds due to cannibalism, and one because he thought he could fly.... I found that little guy a couple of weeks later (for some reason, it didn't smell at all), dried up like a beef jerky

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The only time I lost a P was due to aggression. I only had two fish, rather than three. it wasn't the wisest of decisions to only have two,but my tank is only big enough for two. I woke up one morning to find half of the bigger one floating. :sad:

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
In my Cariba tank, well, i have to say aggression due to cannibalism and territorial disputes...i've never lost a Serra...!

·
Registered
901 Posts
lost my large spilo to an ac300 that never fired up after the power went off and back on.
a geryi that was in really bad shape from a group pounding. b.scott brought it to me when he owned my current group.
a few small rhoms. they dont play nice with each other.

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
ive lost mine du to tank leanking and other p's thinking lunch was other p's o snap its eris knows all about it i bouth them from him

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
ive lost 5 p's at once when my dad had closed the air flow to the water because of the noice, i wasnt home at that time.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
i lost 2 baby reds to a highly aggressive red belly pacu who was quickly given to a lfs and new reds added to the tank.
i actually saw the pacu swimming along with one reds tail sticking out of its mouth.
dixon

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From the reply, I can almost conclude that the main cause of death is due to aggression. Hence, it just prove that Ps are a hardy fish!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
airtorey15 said:
Dang heater exploded!? Now Im worried,can I do anything to prevent that or was there just a mistake that you did that caused it? I just got my new rbp a mounth ago and it would be nice to keep stuff like that from happening,I would be sad.
I have no idea, but buying titanium heaters may prevent this (I think they are available)

I do not think this is a commen problem, in all of the years I have been keeping fish this has only happend once to me, and I don't know of it happening to anyone else - and it was a cheap heater, I guess it turned out to be quite expensive

1 - 20 of 20 Posts