Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I came home today in the morning from my gurls house and found him floating in the tank I don't no why he died so I take him out and found a dead feeder under the gravel do you think that was what killed him.
And why did his bottom fin turn orange.
Thinking of drying him and clearing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it's possible. Maybe the dead feeder was left in the tank to rot and it spiked the ammonia.

What are your water parameters?
thanks for closing the other one
I don't no the water parameters I emptyed all the water out of the tank already I think there was a spike in the ammonia in the water and he dies only on the day that I wasn't home
because my pit bull pulled the power wire outof the wall and the filter and bubbler stoped working so do you think because the water has no movement the ammonia will built up that fast because the feeder must have been there since a week ago

·
Registered
737 Posts
What size tank and what filtration do you have?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you quarentine your feeders before u feed them to ur p's . and yes also agree with taylorhedrich what are the params of the tank
what do you mean by quarentine my feeders
I just buy them and put them all in a 5 gallon tank and just pull them out when it feeding time but sometimes I put more then he eats and they swim around
but my rhom had a problem it would only eat half of the feeder and leave the rest head floating alive and most of the time it wouldn't eat the heads maybe if it was hunger it would eat the hole feeder

·
Serras n Snakes
3,571 Posts
Sorry to hear/see about your p

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
I guess it's possible. Maybe the dead feeder was left in the tank to rot and it spiked the ammonia.

I don't no the water parameters I emptyed all the water out of the tank already I think there was a spike in the ammonia in the water and he dies only on the day that I wasn't home
because my pit bull pulled the power wire outof the wall and the filter and bubbler stoped working so do you think because the water has no movement the ammonia will built up that fast because the feeder must have been there since a week ago
[/quote]

Empty all of the water out of the tank?

I would say either the 100% water change killed your rhom. OR Ammonia spike due to dead feader and no filtration due to power cord being pulled out.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Wait till the tank is cycled completly by doing a fishless cycle before you put another fish in the tank. Best bet IMO.

And unless you are getting a way bigger tank, reds would be a waste of time in a 20 gal. Not enough room for them to live in there comfortably for more than a week or two.

·
Registered
652 Posts

[/quote]

IMO after stating what you just siad id say that that is a very good possibilty. and ya get a bigger tank bro no matter what p's you go with a 20gal wont be big enough for long and you will be wasting your time and money plus making things stressful and unhealthy for any p

·
LionHart
13,099 Posts
Did the ventral fin turn orange after he died?
It's common for certain colors to be more (or less) pronunced upon death.

Sorry for the loss, I think he'd make a great dried specimen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.