Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
yep. you can take a stocking and stuff it with peat moss then tie the opening shut. then put that little pouch into your filter.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Blackwater extract lowers your pH somewhat and also adds some useful minerals and stuff to the water. It also tints the water brown which I think gives your tank a cool amazonian look.

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
If you're going to lower you ph, peat is the best way. However, putting it in your filter is not. Peat can lower your ph below 5, so it isn't like you can put it into your filter and eventually the water will level off at the point where ph stops lowering it. You just have to keep up on water changes to bring the ph back up where it will continue to be gradually lowered. A MUCH better alternative is to soak peat in a bucket of water to give you a peat extract, which will have a very low ph, then mix that extract with regular tap water to use for your water changes. You'll be able to have a known control over the ph in your tank and it won't swing up and down between water changes.

Don't use chemicals as they can bring your phosphorous levels to over 100ppm and give you a massive algal bloom

·
8,410 Posts
I was using peat and phosphate mat but my PH took a HUGE nosedive down to the 5.5 range

Now, I am using PH down wich is a non phosphate based additive. It is a bit of a pain to add with every waterchange, but my PH has been at a consistant 6.5 since I started using it.

Just remember adjust PH gradually, or you will send your fish into shock.

·
"Bruce Lee" the Legend
5,194 Posts
Driftwood is the only thing that I would personally use to lower my Ph.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the optimal pH level is for RBP. I have 4 at around 1" that I have just purchased. I'm wondering what the "best practice" if for levels of pH, nitrate, ammonium etc
I live in Calgary AB, Canada and the tap water is at 8.
Thanks in advance!

·
DOC#003162
15,011 Posts
twofish said:
Can anyone tell me what the optimal pH level is for RBP. I have 4 at around 1" that I have just purchased. I'm wondering what the "best practice" if for levels of pH, nitrate, ammonium etc
I live in Calgary AB, Canada and the tap water is at 8.
Thanks in advance!
[snapback]915363[/snapback]​
they could tolerate a farely wide range of pH if you can get them acclimated to 8 then

just keepin it stable would be the key

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts