Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i randomly aquiured about a doezen lil p's 1-1.5". all i have is a 30 gallon forn now, prolly a 50 in a few months. anyway just wondering if they will naturally pick off a few to help out, or maybe my crayfish will get 'em. but i know some of my buddies want some when there bigger, so would it be bad to seperate or confine a few eventually

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am new here as well... first I'll start by saying:
:welcome:
I will start by saying every post after mine will say "GET A BIGGER TANK, ASAP"
Personally I purchased a dozen online, only 8 arrived "alive", of those, three only looked dead, not obvously dead like the other five. ( the seller sent 13 all together) After a half hour or so I could tell the questionable 3 were dead.
That left me with 5 out of 13 my first 30 minutes. So to me esp. if you bought them online figure some will die anyway. Then if you have crayfish. That will add to your loss.
In a tank that small, after some time they will start to fight each other. Many on here will say even 3 is to many for a 55. So I guess if your buddies want some they should step up now.
Welcome again. This is a great site for info. Everyone here is very nice and helpful and been doing this alot longer than me.

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
id recommend no more than 1 red belly in a 30. most people on here will recommend more tank, but a 30 is doable for an adult. your piranha will have space issues yes, and your crayfish will probably not enjoy any piranha unless they are already injured or stressed. i would say thin them out soon and keep only as much as you can care for. if your getting a larger tank, then its your call
either way, good luck with them

·
Registered
656 Posts
a crayfish with your BABY red bellies? get that stupid thing outa there ASAP, if it gets ahold of your p's there gonna be dead... and for that amount of rbp you would need a hell of a bigger tank to house them for life :nod:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am located in portland oregon.
my lil crayfish we gave him an operation, we removed his thumbs on his claws, and i would only be lucky if he got one of them.
this skoal of dozen is the happest fish ive seen, fow now anyway, when do these guys get some teeth?if i get rid of a couple, hhow long do i got till new tank, 3-4"?

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
GlassblowRBPown said:
i am located in portland oregon.
my lil crayfish we gave him an operation, we removed his thumbs on his claws, and i would only be lucky if he got one of them.
this skoal of dozen is the happest fish ive seen, fow now anyway, when do these guys get some teeth?if i get rid of a couple, hhow long do i got till new tank, 3-4"?
[snapback]964112[/snapback]​
they already have teeth
and in a few months they will be 6"
so u will need a 265g before the year is over just for those fish if u dont give any away

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Agreed get a bigger tank and read up on your fish in the information section learn all you can

·
Registered
235 Posts
they wont grow to 6'' in a few months, they are only 1 to 1.5 now. esp not in a tank that size.

anyway, you do need a bigger tank dude, and less piranha.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
My advice would be to find another hobbyist who lives near you and let him either have some or let him take care of them for you.

When you can get a bigger tank (if that is your intention), you can just take them back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts