Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Ive had my reds since I got out of college in 2001. Started out with five the size of nickle and dimes in my 75 gallon. I ve had to down size to just three my girlfriend took one the LFS took the other. I recently purchased my first house and it was a real fixer uper. I ve spent so much time on it and moving that Ive neglected my fish. Well my nelegence has become fatal. My tanks are still at my friends house and where I was staying. He gave me a call yesterday that one of the reds wasnt looking too good. He was really a mess but I dont know what from. He had white spots on his sides and fins where it looked like he was dissolving. I felt horrible, I did a water change and left for the evening. The next day he looked a little worse, seemed to have problems with balance. I crossed my fingers checked some of my water parameters and things where a mess. My PH was at an all time low of 5 and according to my kit ammonia was off the chart too. I did another water change, added some ammo Lock and salt. I came in this morning to check up on him and he was dead. He was about 9in in length. The other two reds look good, they just ate for me no problems. I am confused as why one was so rough and the other two just fine.

I did do a water change about two-three weeks before this all happened. I also rinsed out the filter pads and put them in one drawer, I added nylon pot scrubbies to the other two drawers. I also took the bio-wheel out and splashed it around in the tank for a min. to remove any excess build up. After I did this the water got really cloudy, but not in a bacteria bloom kind of way. I could see little bits of stuff floating around. I think it might have been a bunch of crud that I loosened up from the bio-wheel or the pot-srubbies breaking down.

I ve been barley feeding them trying to keep the bio-load low they seemed ok. I ve had so little time to worry or even deal with it. Thought I would just let everyone know. I am pretty angry and dissapointed with myself right now.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
sorry for your loss man, I now what you feel....But I can't understand how he died...everything was looking good....

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss...maybe the one that died was just so stressed out than the others that's why he was the casualty. Anyway, gl on the house and am sure you will be able to turn things around for your ps.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
That's not bad if you think about it... one fish lost in all of 5 years...
Sorry about your loss though, especially when you had them from such babies.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
same from me man. sorry for the loss does mean you got room for another
no doubt man, truly sorry to hear about your loss, i dont like reading these threads about people losing they're fish...but now theres always room to add another, pick up a caribe or something, or do you think you'll have more time in the near future for those guys?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
That's not bad if you think about it... one fish lost in all of 5 years...
Sorry about your loss though, especially when you had them from such babies.
always sucks to lose a fish
seems like you took good care of them though

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Oh thats to bad. Well best of luck to you with your house and taken care of the remaning P's.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
that sux

and now you have the bad number of 2 piranha. Are you thinking about adding anyone new?
i would definatly think of adding a new one, i had 2 pygo's in my tank, they got along but it was only short term...having only 2 p's would result in them only fighting eachother, and once one is really week there might be another death on this site...i would definatly suggesting getting another one man when you can afford it...if you cant then just keep an eye on them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts