Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been very busy lately, staying out of town a lot (working kinda far from where I live now, until I move), but get back enough to do maintenance, and have someone feed the fish for me (trained them personally :D ). Anyway, I noticed ick develop on my severum and one of my Ps. Not sure how, but nitrates spiked HARD out of the blue(wondering if someone dumped a whole can of flake food in while I was gone or something
), which I corrected to multiple water changes, the spike probably led to the ick problem.

Anyway, I treated with Ick Gaurd II day 1, day 2 and day 5. Was going to treat day 7 and add carbon day 10. Well, before last dose I noticed my water getting real cloudy. Checked pars and had ammonia, nitrites, the whole 9 yards! The tank was frickin cycling!! I added carbon and 25% water change immediately, added filter media from an established tank the next day, and it cleared up pretty quick.

Anyway, just a heads up. I assumed this stuff was safe for bio filter, but I guess not. Luckily I was home to catch it in time, and run another FW tank just for this reason
Doubt it would have hurt the Ps, since I think they could live through a direct nuclear blast :biggrin: , but some of the other stuff would have likely been floaties.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ich can easily and effectively be treated with aquarium salt and a water temperature of around 82 degrees. Additionally, the salt aids in gill function and disease resistance. (1tbs/5 US gallons)

Regardless, I am glad to hear you have rectified your problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My tank temp is constantly 83, and use 1 tbs/10 gal normally. Would have doubled the dose on salt and upped the temp to 85, but not really home enough/have enough time right now to remove the salt after Tx, and to moniter the other inhabitants for problems. Not sure they could handle it.

But, I will do that next time no matter what. Just got a little freaked out when I saw it on one of my Ps. Some of the older ones have gone through some hellish experiences and have NEVER shown signs of ick. Hell, one time I went out of town in the winter, heater in the house broke while I was gone. Water temp in the tank was ~50-55F
Came home to the fish laying motionless on the bottom of the tank, just breathing. PANICKED and upped the temp to 80.......in oh about 2 minutes.
Talk about an ick break out waiting to happen, but never did. Did lead me to upgrade to tank heaters that are WAY in excess for my tanks tho.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
even using salt at the levels recommended for a while when you are gone will not kill these fish. When you get back as long as they are treated and well you can just do a WC and get back to normal again :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts