Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a walmart brand water filtration system in my 55 gal tank. I have 5 rbp's in the tank. I want the best pump there is or something that is great. My lps has an emperor with 2 biowheels is this a good model? if not please give me some brands of filtration systems that u think are great and i need to know if it would be smart to keep the old pump in the tank when i get the new one. thanks

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
john1634 said:
I currently have a walmart brand water filtration system in my 55 gal tank. I have 5 rbp's in the tank. I want the best pump there is or something that is great. My lps has an emperor with 2 biowheels is this a good model? if not please give me some brands of filtration systems that u think are great and i need to know if it would be smart to keep the old pump in the tank when i get the new one. thanks
[snapback]950455[/snapback]​
I have an emp 4 and it does pretty good. The cool thing with them is they come with extra trays that you can add your own filter media in, I put gravel in there because it was cheap and I already had it, but i would go with a canister. Say a fluval or magnum, I lean more towards a magnum though. You can pack those things so full of filter media its great.
Remember you can never over filter your tank but be careful that your fish can handle the current that they create and dont get sucked into intakes. With good filtration your tank should be filtered about 7 times per hour, mine is around 10 just for good measure.
use some of the filter media from the old filter in your new filter to help new bacteria grow.
Good luck

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so basicly i can use my old filtration system and the new at the same time? my local pet store told me that the emperor with 2 biowheels was the best but i just want to know if it is and or what is better thanks for your ur help. have ur fish gotten ick before? Mine just caught it and been treating it for about 6 days now . some photos of peoples p's on this site look like they have the ick spots but idon't really know if it is or not. I also had a problem with my p's not eating because the lps that i got them from was feeding them feeders and after they got ick i stopped giving them feeders. it had been maybe 5 days since yesterday that they had eaten. i gave them some beef heart yesterday and one took a small bite of it and swam away so i sat down and got on the internet than i looked over and they all were tearing it up i was so happy cuz i know p's can go a long time without eating but i didn't want mines to have to do that. what do u feed ur p's?

john

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
john1634 said:
so basicly i can use my old filtration system and the new at the same time? my local pet store told me that the emperor with 2 biowheels was the best but i just want to know if it is and or what is better thanks for your ur help. have ur fish gotten ick before? Mine just caught it and been treating it for about 6 days now . some photos of peoples p's on this site look like they have the ick spots but idon't really know if it is or not. I also had a problem with my p's not eating because the lps that i got them from was feeding them feeders and after they got ick i stopped giving them feeders. it had been maybe 5 days since yesterday that they had eaten. i gave them some beef heart yesterday and one took a small bite of it and swam away so i sat down and got on the internet than i looked over and they all were tearing it up i was so happy cuz i know p's can go a long time without eating but i didn't want mines to have to do that. what do u feed ur p's?

john
[snapback]950542[/snapback]​
Yeah you can use your old filtration and new filtration at the same time no problem. I had some tetras in with my piranha get ich. I just added aqua salt and it was gone after a while. To tell if a p has ich look in his fins and you will see salt-like granules. Post a pic then people can help tell you if he has ich.
Check the feeding forum for what to feed your ps. I go with shrimp, catfish, and smelt. People have even fed their ps grapes, but not consistently. If you are going to feed your ps feeders then make sure to quarantine them in a separate tank for 2 weeks to make sure they are disease free, and use them sparsely.
The search tool is also good to find information on this site.
Glad to help ya!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i gave them meal worms this morning , and they all went crazy fighting over them. i got the small ones but i am going to get the large ones tomarrow and try some night crawlers. i also put 5 rosie reds that i got from a friend that i met in my area that breeds his own feeders. don't worry its not an every day thing for the feeders like i said i want to try to stay away from feeders but if i can get free quarantined feeders i will give them to my p's like 2 times a month. any ways my p's ate the rosie reds in the first 5 - 10 min that they were in the tank. i have to wait til tomarrow to get some ghost shrimp ( thats when my lps gets their shipment in) 7 for a buck isn't bad. i also came home yesterday and found my gold clam wide open and the meat in it gone. i heard that guppy's are alot better than giving gold fish to ur p's do u or does anyone know if this is true. and can everyone that reads this topic please leave a list of live foods that my p's can eat
it is a little trouble having to have someone feed my p's the none live foods. they tend to put to much food in the tank. and if i stick to live foods i can get a 10 gal tank and put them in it for quaranteening.the 10 gal tank is only 9.95 at walmart. so please leave a list of live foods that are healthy and do not cause and problems for my p's such as diseases and other bad stuff.
THANX

·
Registered
202 Posts
you want to get something really good get a tide pool wet/dry sump from big als that would be much more than enough for your needs and you could always expand and get bigger tanks later because the wet'dry is the deat you can get just about.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so an emperor 400 isn't the best
i will look around today for prices for the fluval and emperor

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Bevard1254 said:
i gave them meal worms this morning , and they all went crazy fighting over them. i got the small ones but i am going to get the large ones tomarrow and try some night crawlers. i also put 5 rosie reds that i got from a friend that i met in my area that breeds his own feeders. don't worry its not an every day thing for the feeders like i said i want to try to stay away from feeders but if i can get free quarantined feeders i will give them to my p's like 2 times a month. any ways my p's ate the rosie reds in the first 5 - 10 min that they were in the tank. i have to wait til tomarrow to get some ghost shrimp ( thats when my lps gets their shipment in) 7 for a buck isn't bad. i also came home yesterday and found my gold clam wide open and the meat in it gone. i heard that guppy's are alot better than giving gold fish to ur p's do u or does anyone know if this is true. and can everyone that reads this topic please leave a list of live foods that my p's can eat
it is a little trouble having to have someone feed my p's the none live foods. they tend to put to much food in the tank. and if i stick to live foods i can get a 10 gal tank and put them in it for quaranteening.the 10 gal tank is only 9.95 at walmart. so please leave a list of live foods that are healthy and do not cause and problems for my p's such as diseases and other bad stuff.
THANX
[snapback]957419[/snapback]​
Post this in the feeding and nutrition forum. There you will get help.

Emperors are good filters. Fluvals are good filters. Eheims are good filters but more expensive. An emperor is a hang on filter and fluvals and eheims are canister filters. You just have to decide which design you like the best. Most people like canisters because they require little maintenance and you can pack them with lots of media for biological filtration. Look around and see what suits you. Good luck

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
On this thread, http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/index.php?showtopic=78360, Judazzz said the following about choosing filtration and I think it fits your decision perfectly:
Depends on what fish you plan to keep in there...

For a piranha tank, or other messy carnivores, I'd recommend a canister in combination with a powerful internal filter (for example a Fluval 4). The first to take care of the biofiltration (fill it with sintered glass or lavarocks), the other to provide currents and to take care of the mechanical filtration (and, if you want to, chemical filtration, such as using peat).
It's not cheap to be honest, but I don't think one should save money on filtration in the first place - without proper filtration, you'll never be able to get, let alone maintain a healthy, stable tank environment...

·
Registered
4 Posts
k I wnet out this morning and got an emperor 400 in the two additional media cartridges 1 has ammonia rocks and the other i put carbon rocks. I bought my master test kit and i bought a 10 gal tank for either breeding guppies or as a qurantine tank. I only had time do the nitrite reading becaue i had to leave to go to work which i am at now. The nitrite reading is .5 i didn't have time to find out if this was good or bad. I also add the bio spira to the tank. I will be home at 10:00 pm tonight i have my mom doing the tests and when i get home i will post the readings for those who are interested. thank you all for yoour help and have a great day.

·
The devil's son in law..
3,626 Posts
Bevard1254 said:
k I wnet out this morning and got an emperor 400 in the two additional media cartridges 1 has ammonia rocks and the other i put carbon rocks. I bought my master test kit and i bought a 10 gal tank for either breeding guppies or as a qurantine tank. I only had time do the nitrite reading becaue i had to leave to go to work which i am at now. The nitrite reading is .5 i didn't have time to find out if this was good or bad. I also add the bio spira to the tank. I will be home at 10:00 pm tonight i have my mom doing the tests and when i get home i will post the readings for those who are interested. thank you all for yoour help and have a great day.
[snapback]958773[/snapback]​
I personally would put Biomax (By fluval) in the extra cartridges of the Emp. That will allow for maximum bio-organism colonization. You have carbon in the prefilter, and if your tank is running right, you do not need ammonia rocks.

·
The devil's son in law..
3,626 Posts
Well, if your tank is cycled properly, there will be no ammonia, and there should be no need for them. I personally never use any extra chemicals, or ammonia "neutralizing" additives in my tanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts