Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
КГБ
6,210 Posts
im getting 2 piraya and getting one more (eventually) i will have a very natural tank any tips or info to help will be appreciated thanks in advance, ps don't laugh at me

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
It is my understanding that slightly warmer temperatures than normal, say 82 degrees and live feeder fish are very helpful in producing a mating pair. For my experience, it has been pure luck because i have done nothing out of the ordinary to have my piranhas breed and moreover, I have had several different pairs breed at different times and in different aquariums.

ps. try to keep your tank as clean and as natural as you can!

·
КГБ
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gunna no do the feeder thing but the other thing i will and i think im going to simulate dry and wet seasons by changing water levels and temp :nod:

thanks for the input

·
КГБ
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so that means no carbon
and i am going to use natural sunlight becuse its near a wondow the tank :nod:

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
You should try it in a room that nobody goes in. I find that privacy helps a sh*t ton. Good luck

·
КГБ
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone im going to try to plant the tank in the front and sides to give them a lil sanctuary lol if i ever get eggs i will hatch them and have a piraya giveaway

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
id look for info on where there from water conditions ... and then try an duplicate it and for feeders you could try fish that naturally live with them (in nature)

·
КГБ
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im going to have tetras and stuff in with them from there water :nod: i will try to find out there water parameters anyone have a linkkkkk

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
On another site, which I won't mention, there was a guy who had an in depth walk through of how he was breeding serras. He added all kinds of beneficial breeding stuff to the tank, but one thing I found very very interesting, was his simulation of wet dry season. He would literally lower the water level down BELOW 5" (he took pictures) and would leave the piranha like that for 3 weeks. He goes on and on and I can't possibly put it all on here, but as someone who has NO idea at least I can tell you that a guy who was very succesful at breeding a hard-to-breed species, one of his tactics was that wet/dry season you are talking about.

Kyle

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
On another site, which I won't mention, there was a guy who had an in depth walk through of how he was breeding serras. He added all kinds of beneficial breeding stuff to the tank, but one thing I found very very interesting, was his simulation of wet dry season. He would literally lower the water level down BELOW 5" (he took pictures) and would leave the piranha like that for 3 weeks. He goes on and on and I can't possibly put it all on here, but as someone who has NO idea at least I can tell you that a guy who was very succesful at breeding a hard-to-breed species, one of his tactics was that wet/dry season you are talking about.

Kyle
I'd love to read that info or see some pictures of that process?

·
КГБ
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think i no what site you are talking about :rasp: someone had pre spawning behavior and im not sure if they bred or not but it was with piraya and im going to pretty much follow what they did thanks eveyone :nod:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Good luck man, people always want to hide info on how to breed, but the way I look at it is if a couple people can figure it out it will just up the supply so we don't gotta pay $500 a fish anymore. Best of luck man. I don't think we are talking about the same site, this guy was deffidentally breeding serra's, pm me and I'll shoot ya the link.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
chances of breeding a pirayais slim....what size tank and how many!? goig to try with my future caribas. going as natural as possible

·
КГБ
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chances of breeding a pirayais slim....what size tank and how many!? goig to try with my future caribas. going as natural as possible
2 geting one more in the future and its a 120 i no how someone did it im pretty much copying him so we shal see

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Breeding P. piraya.......slim chance, but not impossible. Sooner or later if conditions are met for the fishes needs they will breed. Problem is, most expect it to happen immediately. That's not how it works.

About the breeding Serrasalmus species. You are refering to S. maculatus, those are considered prolific spawners like P. nattereri. They have been bred in captivity numerous times and a few articles published in books about the breeding. I carry a few of those articles at OPEFE. If the species is predisposed to spawn, they will if conditions are met. As reported for P. nattereri, once they breed they will continue to do so if the conditions permit. With the Serrasalmus species, its a matter of allowing them to go through their mating ritual which can be and is very violent.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts