Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who has live plants and how do you keep em green and healthy. also what type of gravel is best for planting them in, large gravel or pea gravel???

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I am not really sure, but I would reccomend that you research the type of plants you want and re-create their ideal conditions.
a mix of sand and gravel is usually the best you could provide, but some plants float so it doesn't much matter for these.

also you can get extra nutrients to add to your tank

what species do you mean in particular?

·
Registered
17 Posts
sweet this question is right up my alley- If you want plants in your Piranha tank- you need hardy ones- my favorite is the cryptocoryne family- most of them don't require much light and they grow in just about any substrate.

2nd- for a P tank don't use the standard plant substrates like flourite, because it clouds the water when it gets stirred up. I would use a small course gavel with some terralite cubes. If you want to spend a little more money add a heating cable under the substrate or a terriaum heating pad stuck underneath the tank- this will keep the roots warm and happy and also create a mini current that bring nutirents into the roots. And remember DON"T ADD LIQUID BASED FERTILIZER- or you will curse yourself when the alagae blooms. The cool thing about plants is that they prevent algae by removing the nutrients the algae needs to bloom.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the plants I want are swords and I want micro sword all across the bottom so the bottom would be all grassy. If you look at the pictures forum theres a tank full of plants and a grassy bottom and that's what i want. my problem is that if the roots like small gravel then when fish crap, it gradually sifts its way to the bottom and its hard to vacuum pea gravel so i'm trying to figure out whats best. I was thinking lay the fine gravel down first then a thin layer of large gravel over top because large gravel looks nicer to me but i guess thicker pea gravel would be best for roots. So what do you guys still think. I got a 125 gal

·
Registered
17 Posts
I enjoy plants but try to make it as easy as you can- that way you will enjoy it more. In a predatory fish tank- I would stay away from the plush grassy carpet- It really makes it alot harder keeping stuff out of it- and to me creates more problems then its worth- Plus you need alot more light for plants to thrive, flourish and and get thick like that.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
there are so many different types of plants that can require different parameters to thrive in... just do some simple research
... or tell me what kind of plant your looking for and I'll see what I can find.... Just PM me or write in here :smile:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'll try to keep it as easy as i can but having a lot of plants looks really nice and i thought it would be bada$$ if my tank looked like that but the more i think about it ill keep it simple, thanx for all the help!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Damn just bought some flourite, oh well wasn't gonna use it real heavy anyways. Havent added it yet , but also getting a good amount of plants. Let us know what you get.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree with chaos, keep it easy without a carpet of plants. I have 8 swords (3 are babies) in my 75g. They are really hardy. For some reason, mine went through a stage where they grew brown stuff (diatoms?) on them. That cleared up in a few months and now since I fertilize with a carbon dioxide system, they really grow fast and green. It seems like all the crap floats to their roots. But it makes for a beautiful tank! Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts