Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
yes and it doesn't really matter what kind.
I like kabomba and amazon sword plants, but I usually have a mixture of a few kinds.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Whichever you think is best. I also like the amazons. Im not sure what kinda lighting you have but some plants need a lot of light, while others live long with lil or no light.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
My experience is that swords need a lot of light (the ones I had died rather quickly, because I keep my tank lights dimmed).
Plants that did great are anubias, java fern (both have low light requirements and tough leafs) and vallisneria (but my reds loved to chew on them, so no long-term success).

And yes, live plants are always better, since they convert CO2 into oxygen, and absorb certain (potentially harmful) chemicals from the water.

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
I use swords in my tanks and I use regular plant lights. My P's have gotten use to the light and they are somewhat active when they are on.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
It's better to use real plants with p's because plastic dosen't digest so good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Many piranha owners, as well as myself, have successfully kept live plants with their fish. In my experience, my fish avoided trimming any java ferns, anarcharis, amazon swords or rotala indica

Plants I would avoid are any hygrophilias or anubias.

I strongly recommend you do research before buying plants. planted tank is a great site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts