Piranhas Forum banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Banned
307 Posts
IMO ps should be fed a variety of food i believe giving them feeders once in a while is fine bc in the wild thats how they eat. I have 2 pairs of convicts that constantly breed so i have my own feeders that i take good care of before feeding my ps. i feed them feeders once a week.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I feed my manny mainly live, occasionally shrimp.. or white fish meat (tilapia). which he does not eat much of anyway. I dont use feeder goldfish or minnows, I will only find local small convict cichlids, or 4 for a dollar mollies or platty's at LFS. It is true, that feeders tend to give you the risk of a "bug" or "chemical Poisoning" (leaning toward the later), that can be brought down on your piranha. Traditionally these "feeder" goldfish or minnows kept at my local LFS and many other LFS, are housed in very poor conditions, with hundreds or thousands of them in a single tank. Being the very hardy fish they are, iv witnessed MANY times..different chemicals and medications thrown into those particular tanks (who even knows what the suppliers do?). The treatment of tropical fish is completely different than the "feeder" fish in the store for many different reasons. For the most part, those tanks are not even connected to the main system for their tropical fish. Yes it is much more expensive to do it the way I have set up my feeding schedule, but in the end, it reduces the risks by many times. Now im sure I will get feedback as to why I insist on feeding live, which is, in my opinion... nothing wrong with it. It is a predator, and deserves to be treated as such....

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Feed away! Only draw back from convicts is the only produce couple hundred babies at best per spawn & can take months to raise em to be more than bite size. Why aren't more keepers breeding tilapia? One good pr could produce more than 3 prs of convicts & grow at least twice as fast.

·
Registered
162 Posts
iv tried to look for a supplier of tilapia, I have yet to find one. I guess tilapia farming is a well kept secret, and no one wants to help us piranha finatics lol. In reality, tilapia from the farms, would be the best... they are for human consumption! So chemical treatments and all, would be highly monitored.

·
Banned
307 Posts
my red bellies are still young thats why i feed them convict fry......but talapia would def be a good idea

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
yeah that was what I was getting at. Do tilapia breed when they are small like 5-6" or is it when they get larger? Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
They're breed like convicts if not more. Spawns will be bigger & tilapia grow super fast, faster than rbp. Breeding at smaller size slows down their growth like a lot of fish

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well i've been collecting Ps since 1989 and in my humble opinion most problems with Ps begin with live feeders.
I losted some of my fish because of "uncertain" causes the first 5 years. Today i believe they died because of "unapparental" (internal) diseases/parasites (i always kept water pristine) they got from live feeders... and i've never losted a P again since i feed "dead"...
Personally i feed my Ps white meat fish fillets (different kinds) as staple and shrimp (shell on), squid and octopus as a complement for a varied diet... my Ps grow healthy and never had a problem again...
!
I know live feeders are more entertaining than dead food but you should keep in mind even quarantined feeders can contain internal (unapparental) parasites/diseases harmful/fatal to your Ps... Personally i won't use feeders with my Ps anymore. Their health come first... just my opinion...
!
where is the best place to buy this food

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
If so worried about internal parasites & your so sure internal parasites are responsible for your Piranha deaths then why didn't you treat for internal parasites?if you feed unsafe or questionable feeders why wasn't some type of preventive medication used once or twice a year? Hell why not every 3-4 months?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Feed away! Only draw back from convicts is the only produce couple hundred babies at best per spawn & can take months to raise em to be more than bite size. Why aren't more keepers breeding tilapia? One good pr could produce more than 3 prs of convicts & grow at least twice as fast.
probably because its very hard to get started with them. id love to do it but i would need to, 1)buy 2-3 new large tanks (40 gallon or more) with filters, heaters, etc 2)track down the fish to breed 3)wait until the fish grow to a big enough size to breed

·
Registered
2 Posts
waw..... i was aways feeding my Ps live food, like gold fish...... i didnt even know how bad it is to only feed them live fish... i have 4 Ps, i had them from baby, now they are so big

I am taking them of live fish....

can someone give me a list of good dead stuff i can give them... frozen foods if posible. i can defreez it before feeding

thank you

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
waw..... i was aways feeding my Ps live food, like gold fish...... i didnt even know how bad it is to only feed them live fish... i have 4 Ps, i had them from baby, now they are so big

I am taking them of live fish....

can someone give me a list of good dead stuff i can give them... frozen foods if posible. i can defreez it before feeding

thank you
good choice...IMO id see if you can get them on pellets...i also use raw shrimp and white fish...but pellets are really designed to give them most of the nutrients they need

·
Registered
115 Posts
My P's wonmt eat pellets, dont love blood worms, they seam to like the shrimp but they dont even finish the frozen cube. They wont eat the food i give them but there chewing the fins off of the 2 fish i ahd in the tank to promote algee groth when i fist gaught the tank. Could they simply want the live fish so refuse to eat all the frozen stuff and pellets? Im having an easyer time getting them to eat straw berrys and apples then they are eating meat.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts