Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I read somewhere that P's dont mind bright light. That most people just started dimming there lights. I am setting up a 90 gallon right now and it has the Homedepot double lights on it. I dont really want to dim them. I like alot of light because I like to see my fish and take pics. I would like to know from experts not novices if P's mind Brighter lighting? Thanks for any help.

· "Bruce Lee" the Legend
4,530 Posts
Just put your lights on a timer and they will get use to it. At first it will startle them, but with time, they really won't mind them.

· Registered
2,040 Posts
Your piranhas will get use to the light. I keep the light on for about 8-10 hrs a day (due to my live plants) and then turn it off. They seemed to get use to it fast however, they are definitly more active when the lights are out.

Also might want to think about a dark background. This will cut down the brightness of your lights..

· ~ATLANTA BRAVES~
15,116 Posts
Personally I think you should dim the light a little. You have to remember that Ps live in murly waters where the amount of light rays that penetrate the surface are very low. They can get used to higher light levels over time, but they will probably be very skitish for sometime.

· Registered
605 Posts
i am no scientist but i don't believe they get used to it. Their eyes can't adjust, either they lose some eye sight or they learn to hide it, is my best guess. Anyone experiment with different colors of celaphane over the top? We used to do stuff like that at shows for different lighting effects, i wonder if there is something that will bring our their colors well.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
jamesdelanoche said:
i am no scientist but i don't believe they get used to it.
[snapback]867299[/snapback]​
Well, they can get used to it (for example, when I have switched on both light strips on his tank, my Manueli is more of a pisser than with one light sswitched on), but more often than not, piranha's indeed don't really appreciate bright light.My reds get all jumpy when direct sunlight shines on their tank, and when I switch on the lights in the morning they're all very skittish for about 30-45 minutes.
The reason for this skittishness, that will prevail in most piranha's, is that in the wild the feature on the menu list of dozens of predators - the more light, the more exposed, and thus vulnerable, they feel, resulting in nervous, jumpy fish.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
when i started out with ranas i dimed my lights and all of that now i have then in a 90 till my 150gal gest here with a big ass flourescent bulb on for nearly 10hours a day.
they do get used to it just open your curtains and let thier retenas adjust to the amount of light entering thier eyes i do this and they dont even flich when i trun this big as bulb on good luck JON..

· Registered
43 Posts
I have had my ps for about 3 and a half months now. I would turn the lights at the same time everyday. For three months they hated it they would get pissed off and stressed out. Finally I said screw it!!! I don't turn my lights at all any more. I think it just depends on the fish. Some will get used ti it some won't. I'am thinking about getting a moonlight or making one myself i have a 55 gallon and a 48 inch light wil be $$$$$$. good luck with your p's dude!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.