Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sat having my breakfast yesterday, quietly watching my fishys in their new tank, (they love it by BTW), and i'd left the tank light off, (often leave it off till lunchtime it slows growth of algae), and i'd noticed they 3 of them bickering together. Now i know this is quite normal behaviour, but i decided to turn the light on and when i did they calmed right down!!!!

It seems they fight less when the light is on.... has anyone else found this of their P's???

Thanks all

·
Registered
285 Posts
Speaking from my expierience, and what you wrote, you spooked them.
All the pygos I've had, when I switch the light on, they quit what their doing and start paying attention to what your doing. Curious creatures, huh.

-ttldnial

·
Registered
166 Posts
Speaking from my expierience, and what you wrote, you spooked them.
All the pygos I've had, when I switch the light on, they quit what their doing and start paying attention to what your doing. Curious creatures, huh.
Mines the same, they will stop what they are doing if you spook them, and mine always run and hide as soon as the light comes on, then a few minutes later they are back out again LOL

T

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I believe that lights cause stress to P's. I prefer to keep mine off at all times. I think (IMO) they exhibit a more natural behavior when the lights are off. Plus since I am trying to get my spilos to breed, I want to cause the least amount of stress as possible.

~Dj

·
Registered
72 Posts
My pygo shoal shows a little stress to the lights. I think the pygos can get used to it.
But my Spilos hates it, they will just hug the glass and not move at all. I dont think they will ever get used to it.
InSinUAsian, i know u have a nice shaol of golds.
I keep lights on for the plant life, and i only have plant life to keep these guys from spotting ea other so often.
Do u have obstacles in ur tank , or is it just plain?.

·
"The Video Pimp"
1,401 Posts
my reds use the whole tank when the lights of swim at the top and everything like that but as soon as i turn the lgiht on they are at the bottom. they everntualy get used to it and go back up but for a bit they watch me and see whats going on i nthe room.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Mine are used to the lights. I keep them on at full strength baby. They have adjusted nicely. But i only have 80 watts for my 190 though.
Oh they use all the tank when they are on too.

·
Goldfish Chunks In Teeth
2,505 Posts
Birdman said:
i try to turn on the light on but block it with plants
me too, that and use aluminum foil right below the light tubes...there is need to have a really bright p tank, they have really sensitive eyes, get some floating plants and you will see they weill spend the majority of their time right beneath them..

·
Registered
972 Posts
Another trick I use for lighting is, let's say you have a 150g tank...get a light that is for a 29g tank and use that.

It has a "moonlight" effect in the water and the p's don't seem to mind the light because they'll swim in and out of it and you can see them. Worked good for me.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ahh lighting... I keep mine on All the time I'm awake, When I go to sleep so do they. Not a bad scedule... ONly the little Pirayas get a little spooked when I turn the light on... But they are little so thats Ok. Lighting though is HUGE for plant grown, On my roms tanks so much floating heart grows that I can use it for ALL the tanks in the house... I do have double 48" strips with Aurora bulbs.... Crazy plant growth... Another trick, I think Croz's buddy Nick told me.. I dunno, But anyways you put Electrical tape on the bulb and wrap it so it looks like a candy. Really cuts down on the overall light, but still you got enough... However this will hurt any live plants....

·
Registered
413 Posts
i've had the lights off in my brandtii tank for over a month now, only natural sunlight, and the only plants left are swords and banana plants, but i am now starting to put some artificial plants in there, nice fancy plants, looks pretty good

·
Registered
92 Posts
im using 20% limo tints to kick back the brights. works well and looks great. the eclipse flo bulbs that came with them made the tank look like a hospital. all sanitary like. one side is double tinted to make it even more dimmer, since that side of the tank is heavily planted (plastic).

*i turn the lights on or scare them if i see them nipping/chasing each other.

*mine are around 2 1/2in - 3 1/2in, when they get older will they stop hiding/getting scared like that? or is that just a natural reaction?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
i tried something to see if mine liked the light or not i turned the light on on one side of the tank and kept it off on the other they always run to where the light is...not sure why...i know alot of ps like it dark but mine love it when the lights are on they shoal like there is no tommorow when its on..when its off they spread apart and sleep i guess everytime i watch em with the lights off i usually fall asleep before they do haha

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
When my light is off my Reds will swim at the bottom of the tank but when the come on they swim at the top. It's weird
. You'd think it would be the other way around.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i am currently expierementing with the whole light/plant/piranha deal. I used to leave my lights on 12 on, 12 off. this seemed allright to me for a while. But as my fish grew I started to notice them looking washed out and rather lethargic. I on ly have java moss , one big amazon sword, 7 med sized swords, and an anubius in my 75. Its lit by a 30 watt flourescent gro-bulb.I was bummed about the way my fish looked in comparison to all of the member photos that were posted and deciced to satart f'n around. I switched the lights to my work schedule.8 on 16 off. Its has done wonders for my fish. Before , when the lights were on they would sulk at the bottom of the tank and look all bummed. Now they utilize the entire tank- top bottom front and back. theyre colors brightend right the f*ck up, like nobodys buisness. The lighting change has also seemed to cause a growth spurt in my plants. Hopefully this will continue and I can find the balance i am looking for....just my exp..
please overelook any spelling errors........im gettn drunk tonight....off for more beer
Ron

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Normal behavior...most piranhas don't like bright lights but be patient they will adapt and do great...
!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts