Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 4 red bellies hate the light on at any time
... i have tried dimming it and now i have laid a sheet of tin foil under the light to really dim the tank but they still hide until i turn it off they are 2 inches now and are eating feeders but only when i the dark which is really annoying ..if u know wot i mean any one else suffer this ?

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Just leave the light on and they will eventually get used to it. i poked holes into the foil under my light to let in just enough light to look good.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine are doing the same, they hate the light also, but I need mine on for the real plants. when I turn off the lights they start to come out. I started to feed them only when the ligth is on to tempt them out and its working so maybe give them a little more time!

Also ive noticed that when I put the light on the goto the front of the tank expecting food so that might be good also as they associate the light being on to feeding time!

Good luck anyway mate.

T

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I have mine totally used to the lights. I have a good amount of light also 120 watts on my big tank. No shaded areas, and they arent even bothered with it anymore. They will get used to it. Some may think it is mean, But they don't notice anymore. They will have places that have shaded areas. But in my other tanks they barely were in them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My RBPs are also timid when there is light......I put my tank outdoor in my backyard.... and they are very aggressive at night and are very timid during the day. During the day, all of them stay together in a corner, and was afraid to go to the other corner. They are also very jumpy when I am around the tank.

It might be because they are still small about 2 inch each. I was planning to cover the three side of the tank with black background, but I was afraid that the live plants I have does not get enough lighting.

Hence my questions are:
- Does this behaviour stay with them after they gets bigger?
- Or will it dissapear after a while when they are used to the situation?
- How much lightning do live plants need (How many hours per day)?
- Shall I cover the three side of the tank with black background?

Thanks, and have a great day!

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
You guys have hit the stage where the RBs are scared of light and everythinig else. Give them a couple more inchs to grow and they will be out of that phase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Rb did the same thing, he stayed hiding in the corner till the lite was off, I just left it on and eventually he lost his timidness, now he hangs out in front all the time until he gets spooked and then he'll hide. Dumb cat is usually the one to spook him. But as he gets bigger less and less things seem to spook him.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd suggest getting a timer.

If the lights come on, and go off at the same time everday your fish would probably acclimate more quickly.
This way your plants get light, and you can see the fish too.

-ttldnial

(hey steveling!)

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
With time they will adapt, be patient...my Caribas are totally used to the lights!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Depending on how big or age your Ps are, juvi or young adult stage they're more sensetive to light. I have a timer on my lights which usually goes off a couple hrs at night which they got used to. Have a daily routine which they can get accustomed to

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I personally think that lights and P's just are not meant to mix. I never have the lights on my tank. They seem to appreciate it, and I think it lowers the level of stress the fish are placed under. Hopefully the spilos will breed in the 180, so the least amount of stress the better.

~Dj

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the advice people will give it some time then ! hope they get used to it soon though i wanna see them but not just in the dark ..they have started to get a very bright red under side and just love to look at itmy biggest which is just over 2 and a half inches is a brilliant red which is really nice..i just love these fish ...i heard a crunching sound the other night whilst in bed it turned out to be the p's ripping up a gold fish i put in there!! oh by the way this site is the best and hope it continues for many years to come ...bound to have another stupid question i need answering !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts