Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
You can try and mimic their natural environment with 12 hr day/12 hr night with an automatic timer. But whatever you decide, Ps will adapt to however you choose your lightings.

G

·
If you don't have plants then its up to you.

Keeping the lights on under 8 hours and doing regular water changes, minimal Phosphates. Will ensure you don't get green algae everywhere. I do this just to make sure, cleaning algae is harder in a P tank.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
I keep the lights in my tanks on as long as I'm awake (unless I'm going out for a drink, in which case I switch them off when I leave the house).
On average, the lights are on about 14-18 hours a day - may seem long, but I'm using this scheme for more than 2 years now, and all the fish are as healthy as it gets: so I don't think the lights are on too long.

*edit*
btw: are you guys sure the natural light cycle is 12/12 hours? To be honest, I don't think so (seasonal changes, very short periods of dusk and dawn in the tropics, etc.)

· Registered
639 Posts
Judazzz said:
*edit*
btw: are you guys sure the natural light cycle is 12/12 hours? To be honest, I don't think so (seasonal changes, very short periods of dusk and dawn in the tropics, etc.)
[snapback]870202[/snapback]​
I realized that I was not simulating a true light cycle when I originally set the timer up. But I decided it didn't really matter in the whole scheme of things. Good point though Judazzz.

But as you can see, j to the hart, from the different light schedules that everybody has, your fish will be fine with whatever you give them (as far as light schedule's are concerned). My only suggestion would be to to keep it fairly consistant.

· Registered
134 Posts
If you don't have live plants I wouldn't keep my lights on that long b/c I found when I had my live plants and keep my lights on a lot a had a bunch of algae all over the tank. When the lights were off most of the time I had little to no algae. I have 2 power compacts on a timer now with a 50/50 in the morning, then a daylight, then 50/50 in the evening, and lunar lights at night. It looks pretty tight but all those lights were a decent amount of $.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.