Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 150g. tank. the dimensions are as follows....5' x 2' x 2'. inhabitants: mixed pygos, and various plant life. i dont have a lighting system that can accomidate this amount of "stuff". to top it off i am strapped for cash. my question....what kinda of lighting system should i get and from where? every lfs in town is asking like $200-$300. i cant afford that. i have also checked out ebay and the lighting systems there sell for about that too. i think buying used is the best bet. but not a lot of people are selling lighting equipment and when they do it's not enough. i would really appreciated a little help. thank you in advance.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Go to the hardware store, they sell strip lights there. They're intended for other uses but it will work in a pinch. Roughly $20 per unit I believe.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I have a 180 gallon which is 6x2x2. I went to home depot and bought two 15 watt fixtures for 6.99 each. That is enought to light up my tank. Check my sig for pics of my 180 gallon tank or spilo tank to see how it looks. I think that hardware stores are the best way to go. Especially when you have an acrylic tank that comes with fixtures designed to hold smaller fixtures.

~Dj

·
Registered
25 Posts
i need something a little more permanant. would those hardware stores have the correct lighting for a fish tank? my old set up was from home depot and that was almost useless. algae blooms......plants all died......and other stuff too. my tank is not acrillic it's good old fashioned heavey ass glass....

and i also heard of something like have atleast 1 watt per gallon. is that correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts