Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pygos,tern and caribe in the shoal.Eating really well.They've had a few fights at first but seem to get on really great.Swim up to the glass when im sitting at pc and don't seem bothered by me in the slightest.However turn on the tank lights and they all go mental smashing into the glass at full speed and hitting the sand which throws it up.Within 5 minutes the tank is murky and they still don't stop.I've had them over 3 months.Any ideas?? They are close to a window [not direct sunlight] any ideas? Ive dimmed the lights but their not having any of it

G

·
That is strange for 3 months. What power rating are these lights and how are you dimming them?

Its common fro them to dart when the lights switch on. Although this seems to impreove if they are put on a regular timer. They do often crash into something and then chill a bit again.

All I can think of is dim the lights further and gradually increase the light geeting through. Have the dimmed lighting on a timer too so they can get used to some pattern. My P is comfortable with the lighting but his water is extremely tanned from large amounts of driftwood.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
If it catches them by surprise, my reds too freak out and crash into anything in blind panic when I turn on the tank lights (especially when my room is still dark) - I've had them for more than 2,5 years, but expect them to continue to do so for the rest of their lives - and so should you: fish, instinct-driven as they are, never get fully used to an extremely sudden and unnatural change in light intensity (hell, even people are often in a state of shock when suddenly startled by bright lights being turned on).

It'll get less over time, but they'll never get used to it for the full 100% - best I can advice you is to make your decor/set-up freak-proof: no delicate and minute aquascaping, but just a few pieces of large decor. Worked pretty well for me.

· Registered
486 Posts
like cheerfish mentioned... i turn on the room lights first and then about 20 minutes later the tank light goes on, at which time they still freak out for a second. i would definately check the rating on the lights and work on a more gradual lighting scenario and schedule. maybe put some lamps closer to the tank and have them on for a while for a few days and build up to the tank light. for the record mine still dont react the same in the light as they do in the dark... when the tank lights go out they are a lot more active.. at least for a half hour or so until they start to sleep

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.