Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to the forums ,and have a 75 gal tank with 3 3" rbps i am now using an actinic light in the tank is this ok,or should i go with a regular white light? thanks in advance

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
i am new to the forums ,and have a 75 gal tank with 3 3" rbps i am now using an actinic light in the tank is this ok,or should i go with a regular white light? thanks in advance
White-the actinic is for saltwater

Or you could run them in your fresh water like i do!!!!!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you trying to accomplish? Or do you just want lights.
i am trying to find a happy in between for lighting. if i use the normal aqaruim lighting the fish hide the whole time. i was told that the actinic would be better on their eyes,and would throw off a blue light. the fish seem to swim around in the open when i use the actinic blue light. is this bad? if so i can take it back. i only have the light on when i am home ,and it is on for a couple of hours. they get some good light from the room during the day. i hope i am making sense

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you trying to accomplish? Or do you just want lights.
i am trying to find a happy in between for lighting. if i use the normal aqaruim lighting the fish hide the whole time. i was told that the actinic would be better on their eyes,and would throw off a blue light. the fish seem to swim around in the open when i use the actinic blue light. is this bad? if so i can take it back. i only have the light on when i am home ,and it is on for a couple of hours. they get some good light from the room during the day. i hope i am making sense

[/quote]

BUMP FOR SOME P-FURY EXPERT HELP. if my light is bad i will get a different type. just need to know what to get

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
i dont think its that bad....its useless if you want to plant stuff, but as long as you're happy and your p's get used to it, then i say run with it

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont think its that bad....its useless if you want to plant stuff, but as long as you're happy and your p's get used to it, then i say run with it
haha i have never had much luck with any live plants in any of my tanks. as a botanist i suck. the lights sre for the rbps i. i thought it would be better for thier eyes

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Running actinics on your tank will not hurt nor help anything. You could always try dimming your lights so that your reds will fill more comfortable and come out more. Of course, spending more time in front of your tank or placing the tank in a high-flow area of your house will also help.

Adding more cover for them to hide in will also help. With increased size, your reds will become bolder and bolder.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Water Plant Pet supply Organism Aquatic plant
Running actinics on your tank will not hurt nor help anything. You could always try dimming your lights so that your reds will fill more comfortable and come out more. Of course, spending more time in front of your tank or placing the tank in a high-flow area of your house will also help.

Adding more cover for them to hide in will also help. With increased size, your reds will become bolder and bolder.
i have the tank in a high flow areait is in main room of the house the livingroom which is where i spend most of my time it is no more than 10 feet away. i am trying foil on the light with small slits which seems to work well right now i have quite a bit of cover in my opinion. i am also starting to wonder if i have reds thier bellies don't really have any red on them,but they are still small 2 1/2-3 inches

Attachments

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I am sure that they will come around in time.

They should be developing some red somewhere on them at that size. Their anal fins should definitely be red by now. Plus, they should be starting to develop some red on their gill plate.

What are you feeding them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts