Piranhas Forum banner

lfs badly treating a red belly

1K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  rong666 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
one of my lfs has ONE red belly piranha in a 2x1x1 ft tank, all it has is a under gravel filter one little rock, its about 5inchs, what shall i do??? should i buy it and put it in a bigger nice tank with a fluval 403 external filter, its the empty 90cm tank in my profile, or just leave it at lfs??? he only orderd one in because one day he had none then next day he had one, its been in there for months now and i dont think anyone plans on buying it and its growing very quickly and has rubbish filteration, no heaters and bad lighting, the only way he gets heat to the tanks is by a room heater and the temprature is very unstable, what should i do????

#8 ·
YOu'd be a good guy to pick up that P. But Im more worried about health concers. Sounds like that P was left in there and not cared for. Make sure you talk to the employees and see if you can get a refund if anything goes wrong.

#14 ·
I don't like the rescue advice and I'll tell you why. If you rescue one fish, you are dooming three more. The LFS will see the piranha sold and they will order more. You can't buy them all, nor should you. Better to let the one fish die, and then the pet store won't stock any more if they lose money.

Rescuing only rewards bad behavior.

#17 ·
I still have doubts.. Maybe your LFS had Ps and he was the only one left, the runt!! :smile: But then again, he might've been from a good hobbyist who traded him for store credit to get other supplies or got out of thed hobby.
Or maybe he was the one who was being punked on in the tankl full of other Ps that were ready to kill him off, so the good owner decided that since he couldn't keep him and didnt have another tank.. he decided tha best way was to give him to the LFS. The reasons are endless.....

But yeah get him already.. how much though??

#19 ·
yonderway said:
I don't like the rescue advice and I'll tell you why. If you rescue one fish, you are dooming three more. The LFS will see the piranha sold and they will order more. You can't buy them all, nor should you. Better to let the one fish die, and then the pet store won't stock any more if they lose money.

Rescuing only rewards bad behavior.
I was thinking that too.

but I would get the piranha, im a piranha junkie, I couln't have too many, as long as I had the tank space for them.

#24 ·
I'm for the whole rescue idea as well, but my one question would be...why go to an lfs with some jackass who does'nt know how to take care of a p? sounds wrong to begin with. Just bad business and maybe you should check out a different lfs who knows what they are doing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.