Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Danse Macabre!
Joined
·
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a suggestion, let me take over the POTM competitions for both the non-piranha and piranha categories. There's alot of people who are excited and interested to do these competitions and both have been either delayed or have not happened at all recently (December Piranha POTM???). As one of the photographers who looks forward to and participates in every contest, I'm disapointed to see this happening to say the least. If you were to let me or another interested member who can step forward here do it, we could get these things going in a timely fashion and actually have a competition each month. I don't think the fact that I'm entering in the competitions should have any bearing as it would be impossible to cheat even if it weren't for the fact that it goes against what I think is right or wrong so the whole "conflict of interest" angle should not even be an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,294 Posts
well let me be the first to say "conflict of interest".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,044 Posts
I agree, as many people would probably just vote for the Red Belly pic, even if the cichlid pic was superior. Very sad, but maybe we should have a non potm. But then the non POTM would probably be dominated by predatory fish= on going problem. So just leave it alone?
 

·
Danse Macabre!
Joined
·
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Filo said:
I agree, as many people would probably just vote for the Red Belly pic, even if the cichlid pic was superior. Very sad, but maybe we should have a non potm. But then the non POTM would probably be dominated by predatory fish= on going problem. So just leave it alone?
[snapback]836239[/snapback]​
No I'm not saying to change the structure, just to let myself or any other person interested in doing it run the contest, because the current people in charge are slacking off so badly that we've had two contests in the past three months that simply did not happen.

And mori, let me be the first to ask you to explain how the conflict of interest could possibly affect the outcome of the competition considering I will still have to post all the pictures entered and I won't be able to edit the votes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,044 Posts
^ i would definatly take charge in hosting the POTM. I would use my own email addy so none of this "Well the email is down, so no POTM" would happen. If you were suggesting letting someone else do the POTM, I am ALL for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,294 Posts
If the emails go to you, eltwitcho, you enter whatever pictures you want, and none of the ones you dont. I would trust almost anyone but you with POTM.
 

·
Danse Macabre!
Joined
·
10,561 Posts
mori0174 said:
If the emails go to you, eltwitcho, you enter whatever pictures you want, and none of the ones you dont. I would trust almost anyone but you with POTM.
[snapback]836298[/snapback]​
Apparently in your head this would be a dastardly and foolproof plan that couldn't possibly fail, but in the land of the thinking people it would stand to reason that even if I wanted to do something so stupid people would complain when the picture they emailed was not entered and I would get caught right away. The fact that this could never reasonably work means it's a pretty safe bet nobody would do it. And the suggestion forum isn't a place for you to vent your frustrations and make character attacks on me, grow up, get a life, piss off


Back on topic - Octane wants to help out too so obviously there are people willing to go forward with this. I dont care that it's me so if the staff have an issue with it there are other options than myself. All I want is a reliable contest system that will actually happen monthly and on time. It's not a knock against the staff because no doubt whoever is currently running the contests has reasons they're busy and can't do it on time, but why not pass it on to someone else who does have the time to run the contests?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,301 Posts
Twitcho has a good point here, but if I'm not wrong Judazzz has taken over the POTM contest. So I have faith that Judazzz will do it good and will do it on time :nod: .
 

·
Photo Whore
Joined
·
2,656 Posts
I think it would be a good idea Twitch, I apreciate that whoever is doing it at the mo is probably extremely busy, hense the delays or missing comps.
Twitch is interested in photography and is a f*cker....sorry FAQ'er...so why not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,692 Posts
jan said:
Twitcho has a good point here, but if I'm not wrong Judazzz has taken over the POTM contest. So I have faith that Judazzz will do it good and will do it on time :nod: .
[snapback]836533[/snapback]​
Well, I love being lazy, so I see opportunities in this here suggestion

Seriously though, the PFury webmail is still not up and running (as far as I know), which is why I can't accept entries yet: I'm not going to use my private e-mail for PFury purposes.
But if Twitch wants to take over, I can't see why not. He's a good candidate for the job, and it gives me time to devote time to other things PFury.

And as far as conflict of interest goes: what a load of bullshit

A bit of faith in each other would be more than welcome for a change - and if you can't bring that up, don't participate - it's all so damn simple...
 

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
Joined
·
18,670 Posts
yorkshire said:
I think it would be a good idea Twitch, I apreciate that whoever is doing it at the mo is probably extremely busy, hense the delays or missing comps.
Twitch is interested in photography and is a f*cker....sorry FAQ'er...so why not.:nod:
[snapback]836707[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,294 Posts
Judazzz said:
Well, I love being lazy, so I see opportunities in this here suggestion

Seriously though, the PFury webmail is still not up and running (as far as I know), which is why I can't accept entries yet: I'm not going to use my private e-mail for PFury purposes.
But if Twitch wants to take over, I can't see why not. He's a good candidate for the job, and it gives me time to devote time to other things PFury.

And as far as conflict of interest goes: what a load of bullshit

A bit of faith in each other would be more than welcome for a change - and if you can't bring that up, don't participate - it's all so damn simple...
[snapback]837015[/snapback]​
i wont.
 

·
The ASSMAN
Joined
·
20,469 Posts
I dont think who ever is running a contest should enter. Not that the person would cheat, but to me it just looks bad....the appearance of impropriety...as the courts would say. I dont have a problem with Eltwitcho running it...or anyone else...but I dont feel that person should also enter. Just like I dont think a person that wins should be allowed to enter another contest for at least 6 months. These contests are for fun imo and should be treated as such. The person with a nicer camera has a much easier chance of winning. Just the way I see it though.
 

·
Danse Macabre!
Joined
·
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All fine and good gurke, but there's still the issue of us not having any POTM competition at the moment. I'd think somehow "looking bad" if I were to win is a lesser evil than not having a contest at all. Aside from that, Ed at aquatic-photography.com (the admin of that site) enters POTM all the time as well as running the competition and I've never seen it really be an issue over there.

As for the nicer camera, that is and it isn't true. A camera with no manual settings and no manual focus is going to have a tough time of winning, but a Canon A75 (200 dollar-ish) can easily compete with a digital SLR in this format. The only real difference between the two in terms of potential picture quality is higher pixel count, which in turn is lost as soon as you resize down to 500 pixels. I think the reason you aren't seeing alot of great entries from people with lesser cameras is that they aren't as interested in photography as the people who spend more on their cameras and therefore don't have as much practice.
 

·
Peace....Through Superior Firepower
Joined
·
13,643 Posts
elTwitcho said:
All fine and good gurke, but there's still the issue of us not having any POTM competition at the moment. I'd think somehow "looking bad" if I were to win is a lesser evil than not having a contest at all. Aside from that, Ed at aquatic-photography.com (the admin of that site) enters POTM all the time as well as running the competition and I've never seen it really be an issue over there.

As for the nicer camera, that is and it isn't true. A camera with no manual settings and no manual focus is going to have a tough time of winning, but a Canon A75 (200 dollar-ish) can easily compete with a digital SLR in this format. The only real difference between the two in terms of potential picture quality is higher pixel count, which in turn is lost as soon as you resize down to 500 pixels. I think the reason you aren't seeing alot of great entries from people with lesser cameras is that they aren't as interested in photography as the people who spend more on their cameras and therefore don't have as much practice.
[snapback]838665[/snapback]​
You aint gonna win , Im Gonna get a Kick ass camera in my Mama's name and Whoop your ass in the POTM Contest ....
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top