Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read hollywoods breeding forum and thought I could do so.
Had a buddy who was moving back to Bend Oregon, he had 5 beuatiful RBP @ 5-6 inches.
I picked them up last night cause he had to leave town and I had no time today.

Picked them up in a 5 gallon bucket, Cold and Snowing in Portland.
Got home rushed to put them in a 55 gallon cycled tank with other fish in it.

Separared them .
This morning, all 5 newly purchased were bellied up! plus my 5 other small fish were belly up as well.
Normally I am not sadden, but these 5 RBP were healthy and beautiful!

Lack of oxygen killed them all!

my mistakes.
1. Bring a bigger bucket or 2 (Container).
2. Have a nice big tank set up and ready for them!
3. PATIENTS IS THE KEY!

I have them in my FREEZER, usually I throw every else away but these were probably the best RBPs I have seen.

I've comitted a murder!

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
sorry for the loss, patience and expeience is the key

·
Registered
218 Posts
Srry to hear that. That Really Sucks. i kinda did the same thing, but had no losses. Nitrite spiked with the heavier Bio Load. added another filter, and dumped a double dose of Cycle in the tank, weekly water changes started the day after adding the new fish. everythings fine now.
Always compensate for added bioload, especially when adding that # at that size. I always thought Fancy Goldfish were the dirtiest fish you could own ( Large body mass== Lots of Ammonia) now i'd have to say it's P's

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thats a real shame to hear, sorry for the bad experience mate, but i bet you wont make that mistake again
. Experiences like these create great future piranha keepers who learn from their mistakes. Better luck next time though...

·
Registered
175 Posts
iam lost here, so you cant dump a few fish in the tank at the same time, even if you mix your tank water with the water that was in the 5 gal bucket then put the fish in the tank.

wow should i get a air pump for my tank or are my filters ok, thanks for the post about this and sorry to here about your fish

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Sorry to hear that man

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.