Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read hollywoods breeding forum and thought I could do so.
Had a buddy who was moving back to Bend Oregon, he had 5 beuatiful RBP @ 5-6 inches.
I picked them up last night cause he had to leave town and I had no time today.

Picked them up in a 5 gallon bucket, Cold and Snowing in Portland.
Got home rushed to put them in a 55 gallon cycled tank with other fish in it.

Separared them .
This morning, all 5 newly purchased were bellied up! plus my 5 other small fish were belly up as well.
Normally I am not sadden, but these 5 RBP were healthy and beautiful!

Lack of oxygen killed them all!

my mistakes.
1. Bring a bigger bucket or 2 (Container).
2. Have a nice big tank set up and ready for them!
3. PATIENTS IS THE KEY!

I have them in my FREEZER, usually I throw every else away but these were probably the best RBPs I have seen.

I've comitted a murder!

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
sorry for the loss, patience and expeience is the key

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
How about a filter?

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
How much surface air agitation was there? Did you happen to just dump the piranhas into the tank? Did you not cycle the tank for the new bigger bioload? Did you have enough filtration?

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
sorry to say that if you put alot of new fish in the tank it can cause a ammonia , nitrite spike=======no oxygen.................

·
Registered
218 Posts
Srry to hear that. That Really Sucks. i kinda did the same thing, but had no losses. Nitrite spiked with the heavier Bio Load. added another filter, and dumped a double dose of Cycle in the tank, weekly water changes started the day after adding the new fish. everythings fine now.
Always compensate for added bioload, especially when adding that # at that size. I always thought Fancy Goldfish were the dirtiest fish you could own ( Large body mass== Lots of Ammonia) now i'd have to say it's P's

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thats a real shame to hear, sorry for the bad experience mate, but i bet you wont make that mistake again
. Experiences like these create great future piranha keepers who learn from their mistakes. Better luck next time though...

·
Registered
175 Posts
iam lost here, so you cant dump a few fish in the tank at the same time, even if you mix your tank water with the water that was in the 5 gal bucket then put the fish in the tank.

wow should i get a air pump for my tank or are my filters ok, thanks for the post about this and sorry to here about your fish

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Sorry to hear that man

1 - 13 of 13 Posts