Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Slim Diggler
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew what is wrong with my reds? They just sit there pretty much all day and dont move from their spots they have designated for themselves? I was wondering if I am doing something wrong or if my tank is setup wrong or just what in the hell is going on when I had themin my 55 they were fine but now they are in my 125 and nothing they only move to eat and thats it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
if you don't have a powerhead i'd say get em one....that way they have a current and it will give them somehting to do....plus it's relly good exercise for em

·
Slim Diggler
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TheGreatHoe said:
if you don't have a powerhead i'd say get em one....that way they have a current and it will give them somehting to do....plus it's relly good exercise for em
[snapback]848839[/snapback]​
I have a ac 110 which is also the 500 which creates good current but they just sit there lot. I also have a sponge filter and undergravel filters too. But they just sit there alot I have no clue what the deal is

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Slim said:
I have a ac 110 which is also the 500 which creates good current but they just sit there lot. I also have a sponge filter and undergravel filters too. But they just sit there alot I have no clue what the deal is
[snapback]849019[/snapback]​
Current from the filters arent enough water flow....

u can have 2 ac500 on there and it still wont be enough to ge ur guys swimming.... I suggest get a POWERHEAD and place it towards the front left corner of the tank.... get a POWERHEAD with 250 GPH and set it on a timer so they can sleep at nite....

so it dont matter how much curent ur FILTERS provide it doea not compare to the current a POWERHEAD gives

·
Slim Diggler
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Thats cool but I have my ac500 hanging on the left side of the tank, and not the back, cause their was no room in the back because tank is 24 wide. So and how does a powerhead work anyways? Does it hook to my unergravel filters? never seen one before sorry. Heard of them just never seen one? So you think there isnt enough water movement in my tank at all?

·
Slim Diggler
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And i really have no clue whats going on? Any help would be much appreciatted? Give me names of stuff you think I need and ill go get it. And where do I get driftwood? cant find any anywhere.

·
Registered
330 Posts
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/parent..._id=2181;pcid1=

ok that's a link to bigalsonline's powerhead section....

all a powerhead it really is an internal pump that creates current....you can hoow it up to power your unergravel filter adn stuff if you want.... they're really cheap and a must for jsut about every p tank....

jsut look at teh gph rateing though...you don't want too much watermovement in your tank... i usually go from 6 - 10 times teh gal in the tank

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Slim said:
Ok Thats cool but I have my ac500 hanging on the left side of the tank, and not the back, cause their was no room in the back because tank is 24 wide. So and how does a powerhead work anyways? Does it hook to my unergravel filters? never seen one before sorry. Heard of them just never seen one? So you think there isnt enough water movement in my tank at all?
[snapback]849047[/snapback]​
A powerhead will create current in your tank and make it a more natural habitat for your P's to live. They will love it. They attach to the side of your tank and you just plug them in, very easy to set up. You really need to get a powerhead, IMO its very important.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Before I put Exodons in my 200gl, my RBP's would simply follow each other around and would tend to hide behind plants or rocks. (I had 10 at that time)
After the ex's were added, they came out and explored the tank all the time and were less skittish when I turned the lights on or walked by the tank.
I believe this was because the ex's were so bold and were not the least bit frightened by my presence...Unfortunately, (5) of my (8) original exodons have been eaten but I'm sure other types of "dither" fish would suit this purpose, for far less money, even if they do occasionally get eaten.... Check it out :thumbup

·
Slim Diggler
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have 2 plecos one at about 7 inches and one at about 3 inches and one neon terta and a really mutated jack dempsey, which has been bitten in the face about 3 times and is still alive and kickin well, they happened to break his lower jaw bad so it doesnt match up to his top jaw at all but he still eats a little bit a day. I also have just recieved a new addition to my 125. A 5 inch Caribe from Aquascape, Pedro is awesome. They had ick awhile ago but its gone now and no sign of anything. They just sit there got an ac500 and a emporer 320gph powerheard also and still nothing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
thats the things with piranhas they dont always swim around they move when theres food get a power head that should help a bit but not much of a difference , thats there down side they dont swim around like gay nemo

·
Slim Diggler
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What Temp should I keep my tank at for red bellies? i have it at 74-76 I didnt know if that was good enough or make it hotter? Any response would be greatly appreciated

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.