Piranhas Forum banner

LARGE mixed tanks

1K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Piranha King 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 ·
yes its possible. my friend has an 8" elongatus, a 6" caribe a 6" spilo and a 9" rhom in a 190g. they have been in there for over a year. of course he starte dout with around 8 fish and he lost half. i believe its because he wasnt feeding them good enough though.
wes

#3 ·
No way! I have problems with the ternetzi fighting with my bigger caribe. To through in all those serra species I think would be devastating. All those piranhas dont even come from the same area. Its a bad idea and it would never work in my opinion and would be just a waste of money. Most of those fish have territory issues that can not be settled in a 1000g.

SMTT

#4 ·
It can be possible with a mixed tank, but it also depends on how many in a Pygo shoal and taking out a Serra or two in the mix. 1000 gal is huge, but as these guys get bigger, they will seek out other and new territory in the tank. No matter what, disasters may unfold.. but it would be a badass tank!!

#6 ·
i've successfully (till a week ago) had 2 8" reds, 2 6-8" piraya, and 2 6-8" caribe, w/ 2 10" pleco's all in a 125 gallon - they never once did more than very mild fin nipping and that was very rare.

But i moved about 2 months ago and had to keep my tank at my old location w/ my friend watching it & i was feeding them 100 feeders once a week but apparently they got hungry and some reason the bigger caribe attacked the bigger piraya and they did some severe damage.

i normally give them 50 feeders twice a week but since i was not living there any longer i slacked to 100 feeders once a week and i think that caused the issue.

I now have them in my new place and the 5 remaining are just fine and i'm probably going to attempt to introduce a new piraya.

Oh it should also be noted they've not attacked the pleco's at all either.

I was told to just make sure you keep "shoaling" piranhas together (red, piraya, caribe, etc) or schooling vs having schooling & non-schooling togther.

#7 ·
Wagz, all Pygos is a different story than mixing Serras and Pygos. I think with a large enough tank it could be done. You would loose some along the way but I think you could find a working combination. Pretty much like Wes said his friend is doing. My reason for this is based on the fact that I think these fish are very individualistic and you will find some that are more tolerant than others, and if you put an overly intolerant fish in there, you may be left with a 1000 gallon tank with one rhom.

#8 ·
For some of you guys who haven't been around the piranha boards that long, there was a 500g tank out in Cali that belonged to a friend of mine. In it he had:

Rhoms
caribas
spilos
ternetzis
brandtii
eigenmanni
and a few others.

And several thousand neon tetras.

Yes, mixed tanks can be done, and they can be done successfully. However, it's not the norm, and not often met with good results. I guess that's from lack of trying. If you have the money to setup the tank right from the start, and not worry about losing money in the event of a catastrophe, then chances are that you can set up a tank and possibly have one of the most amazing displays of coexisting species.

#12 ·
PIRANHA KING said:
yes its possible. my friend has an 8" elongatus, a 6" caribe a 6" spilo and a 9" rhom in a 190g. they have been in there for over a year. of course he starte dout with around 8 fish and he lost half. i believe its because he wasnt feeding them good enough though.
wes
i love to see a pic of this tank..is it possible wes?

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
grosse gurke said:
I believe Clay is speaking about this tank. Look under extreme fish, then 500 gallons of mixed piranhas. It is amazing.
fugupuff
That is so badass.

I am going to sell my car and buy a tank like that.

Do y'all think that an arrowana or a stingray would work in a huge p tank like that?

What in the world would the dimensions of a tank like that be?

#14 ·
thePACK said:
PIRANHA KING said:
wes
i love to see a pic of this tank..is it possible wes?
ill try, but if anyone is in michigan you can come see it for yourself.
wes

#21 ·
grosse gurke said:
RhomZilla said:
An S. Niger is as real as a White Piranha
Really?
Care to elaborate :smile:
White Piranhas were just another name to categorize the S. Rhom because of its discovered location. And what I meant was the name S. Niger is a specie of its own, just as a White Piranha is.. (sarcastically speaking)

#22 ·
RhomZilla said:
grosse gurke said:
RhomZilla said:
An S. Niger is as real as a White Piranha
Really?
Care to elaborate :smile:
White Piranhas were just another name to categorize the S. Rhom because of its discovered location. And what I meant was the name S. Niger is a specie of its own, just as a White Piranha is.. (sarcastically speaking)
all in all they are all rhoms in the end right?
just from different places.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.