Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Texas Justice
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my friends just called me with 9 inch clown loaches i had bought them earlier. i had put small p's in my 75 gallon tank. how long do you think the loaches will survive with the p's, the p's are only about 2 inches long. i will move the loaches as soon as possible.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think they will survive for al least a year, I seen loaches with adult red brested that were smaller than the p's, but than I have seen p's eat the laches but that usuallu happends when they are much bigger plus the loach is pretty big so yeah they'll be fine. The only thing that might happend is a fin nipping but I don't think even that as I stated before I seen both living happily for years.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
there is no 100% answer for that question...
for best results I would provide plenty of decors and hiding places along with some dithers and then of course proper feedings and tank maintanece.
now cross your fingers

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
as said their are no guarentees, but if you keep the piranhas well fed, and possably add some slower fish for the piranhas to pick on.
and loads of cover you will have every chance of having sucsess

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I think there is a good chance they will live together based on the size difference. However, as always, there are no guarantees.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Exactly.. No garantees!!! Considering you Ps are smaller than your Loaches, it may result in fin nipping, injuries and maybe gourmet food. The best way to keep them compatable IS having hiding places for your Loaches. I had Loaches with my Ps before to get rid of snails. And trust me.. even as babies, there were dead or missing loaches every morning. Lasted about 5 days for me.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
yep what everybody else has said is true they could survive but my advise is to get them out asap as you said you will.
loads of people have other species with piranha reds in particular but many have failed like myself who has lost 3 fish to my reds 1 x cat and 2 convicts and had from time to time due to lack of tanks added other fish with my reds but i will not do it anymore as it is a waste of money and fish
dixon

·
Texas Justice
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just to update this thread small p's and large loaches cannot live together. the loaches have killed 4 of the p's so far and last one is not looking good. would have never guessed the outcome but i have seen it with my own eyes. don't try this at your home!

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Actually that is what I would have expected. You are talking about a 9" fish with a 2" fish. Little p's are much more conserned with survival and not aggression.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
So sorry to hear that, better luck next time!

·
Texas Justice
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh well 9 inch loaches are a little harder to come by than 2 inch p's. i guess i'll just have to live with the loaches and set up a new piranha tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts