Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of fish is that large one in the video, it looks like some type of bass to me but im not sure? Anyone know? also, is there a type of suckerfish/catfish that could survive in a tank with some p's?

and lastly, there probably arent many, but what other types of fish can survive with p's?

thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
the large fish is an oscar, some plecos can cohabitate with piranha, but it's always a gamble. any fish including other piranha may get injured or become a meal.

Other possible tank mates for P's are fish too small to be conceived as food. Other Pygocentrus, if serrasalmus, they are solitary unless you have a large enough tank. Piranha tanks are commonly single species tanks.

BTW, welcome to the board :rockin:

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
When we first set up the tank we were really dumb and just the piranha in with the Oscar. Looking back, the oscar had been in the tank a week or so before we put in the p's and was a lot bigger than them in the beginning. They all grew up at the same time and cohabitated perfectly. It was a huge gamble and I dont recommend anyone trying it because you will most likely lose a fish. We just got lucky from sheer stupidity.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a clown loach in with my 4 juveniles. He was bigger than them at first but now they have outgrown him. He has a good hiding place and they nip at each other more than they nip at him. So if you are going to experiment, I would say to put something bigger than they are when they are small and hopefully they will think of them as one of themselves. But if they get too hungry I'm sure the non-related species would be the first one they would indulge in.
P.S. this may be irrelevant but, you ever hear of dogs that take care of baby kitties, or some breed taking care of another when it seems to be against nature's will, I think maybe its something like that, they're just too young to realize and then they grow up with it so they think nothing of it...just a thought though.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
IMHO certainly you can mix Oscar and Ps if the Oscar is bigger and there is enough room for the P shoal (in fact i have a 9" Oscar and a 16" Pacu with my 12 6-8" Caribas doing great)...of course you have to keep them well fed :nod:
!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts