Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 4 rb and have them in my tank at the office. I am a little concerned about the legal issues here. They are illegal in my state. (Utah) Has anyone heard of the authorities pursuing and presecuting for owning these critters? I am wondering if I should get a new tank for home and move them home before they get bigger. They are just nickle to quarter size now.
They are really no risk to the enviroment here as there is no way that they could survive if anyone was so foolish as to turn loose expensive fish.
SHould I worry?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I don't know if they are legal in Utah, but I wouldn't see a reason why not: all Utah consists of is desert or salty lakes anyways

Take a look at the store locator (as far as I remember, the illegal states are greyed out there), or have a look at Frank's Opefe website...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Dont be so sure that they can't survive harsh conditions, people are always catching piranhas up here in small and big lakes, heart lake in brampton ontario, 3 pound piranha was cought by some kids fishing.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Having them in your office is pretty risky I would say.... I mean having them in your home and keeping it under wraps is one thing, but displaying them for your co-workers to see is just a little bit ....

I have never kept piranha in a legal state, yet I have never displayed them to people either. I would say move them to your home and get some legal fish for your office.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts

Not the best idea, ive seen many better ideas.

if he is in your office i hope no foot traffic comes in.
or like my my office i have now, i have a back filling room, GREAT place for one big ass tank. and no one but me has a key to the office

·
Registered
506 Posts
Unless the write piranhas or serr. or red belly or black rhom or rhom etc. on the box then you wont have to aorry unless your in a state that really actually cares like Florida they will check you box. I dont know how strict Utah is but they would have to have a eason to search you box. I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Take them home. You never know what the authorities would do.

You don't want your already illegal piranha priveledges taken away!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Depending on your co-workers knowledge of Ps and/or how they'll react to it depends on how much you want it to be known. As much tempting as it is, I suggest and hope you dont show off too much by feeding live foods to spread the excitment around.

There are alot of states where Ps are Illegal because of their perfect weather and adaptation to the lakes were they can kill off most or all of the other neighboring fishes.

A friend of mine in Cali simply got a misdemeanor for a first offense. No hard fines or jail time, but his P's were confiscated. And I betcha 100% that whoever confiscated his P's, has it in their home at this very momment.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
jimbo said:
Dont be so sure that they can't survive harsh conditions, people are always catching piranhas up here in small and big lakes, heart lake in brampton ontario, 3 pound piranha was cought by some kids fishing.
Doubt they caught a piranha, most likely a pacu.

As for keeping p's at work, I wouldnt. You never know who you might piss off and all it takes is one phone call. Also, I would see them as too much of a liability. Take them home were you can really enjoy them.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
az tha kid said:
Unless the write piranhas or serr. or red belly or black rhom or rhom etc. on the box then you wont have to aorry unless your in a state that really actually cares like Florida they will check you box. I dont know how strict Utah is but they would have to have a eason to search you box. I wouldnt worry about it.

I almost didnt coment on this post but come on people....is it that hard to read over your post before you present it to others.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Hannibal said:
if you get in trouble say u were told they were Pacus. But take them gome for sure
make a little tag with a picture of a pacu on it saying the name pacu. most people can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
what size tank is it? And four is not a good number. Depending on the size of your tank, buy one more or sell one.

Oh yeah take them home. Get some other fish for your office if you really want a tank in there. If not, then just take they whole set up home, and no worries.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
so you can sleep at night and not have to be worry about this situation i recommand you take them home.save yourself the fuss in the future

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have piranhas in my office. BUT they are legal in my state.

As far as co workers and a clients, i really dont care too much because I own the company, so co workers im not worried. some of my clients dont like it while some do, so it all depends, just dont feed the piranhas during normal business hours, lol. Seeing a mice getting eaten or goldfishes torn in half (and still moving) is scary and cruel to some people.

But if they are illegal, then you should move them home or something. OR lie and tell people they are red belly pacus. most people cant tell the differnce

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
ezlife said:
I have piranhas in my office. BUT they are legal in my state.

As far as co workers and a clients, i really dont care too much because I own the company, so co workers im not worried. some of my clients dont like it while some do, so it all depends, just dont feed the piranhas during normal business hours, lol. Seeing a mice getting eaten or goldfishes torn in half (and still moving) is scary and cruel to some people.

But if they are illegal, then you should move them home or something. OR lie and tell people they are red belly pacus. most people cant tell the differnce
Just wait untill the mail man comes in and goes!!! those are piranhas oh my god i gota call the Fish and Game board!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts