Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
What fight would that be. Nobody here has made any claims about anything, you just presented additional information on a finding that has been disputed. If he still has this fish, what would be the harm in taking it out, measuring it, and snapping a picture?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That's nice. It's still just a big wild guess and I haven't seen John involve himself in this, not really fair to be tossing his name and fish around like this. Can we please get past this stupid big tern thing? It's annoying.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Since I was PM by Piranha King to talk about this fish some more, I posted the remarks of what John wrote.

When I netted him, I decided to get a good measurement of him so I could finally know for sure if he has been growing. Although I had guessed him at around 13.5", to my surprise he has easily surpassed 14"! He also seemed very heavy and solid in the net, and I would guess him to weigh nearly 4 lbs
Still doesn't prove anything, he has no photo of the fish. And it does not contradict what I wrote here in Piranha Science:

And I again state for the record. Captured fish that are measured by science does not necessarily mean that is the largest size in existence. Just means no larger has been discovered and recorded. And also stated by me, fish in the aquario do get larger than wild because of being safe from natural predation and diseases/parasites.
You might go read that Wes under the P. nattereri maximum size that Nate disputed.

PS: Piranhas might be your game Wes, but Science is mine and you like Nate have proved nothing.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
mort Posted on Apr 30 2003, 09:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It will be very interesting to get some more info about this "giant"... Hopefully he gets online again, and invest in a dig vidcam!
That and a ruler.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
You can also follow the threat from Predatory fish. Nate and company have been arguing this fish since the dawn of time. PF is littered with numerous posts, arguments, agreements, disagreementsl etc. etc. etc. One thing that remains constant is Nate bringing it up as if he knows what he is talking about....all heresay.

Predatory Fish Board

The following was posted by Wayne Mah (911):

911 Posted: Jan 22 2003, 03:44 PM

P. Nattereri

Privatepain and anyone near Montreal, go to the biodome exibit and you will see some giant reds definitely over 12 inches. Both Oliver and I agree those were the largest Pygos we both have seen alive for the longest time until I saw my friend's piraya. Yes shedd aquarium had some big ones too but these at biodome are just outrages. I have them on film from 6 or 7 years ago a they all are still alive.
From Josh (Serrasalmus)

serrasalmus Posted: Feb 1 2003, 08:15 PM

You're right Nate, I'm changing my stance. I made statements without examining all of the previous data. I was wrong on my stance before. I'm not covering my ass, I'm just now reiterating what science now knows, and has figured out. The last thing we really need is another common name to apply to these fish, as more people will just become confused. You're also neglecting that the southern color morph is found in more countries than just Argentina.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Well as Wes said Jason Bolin now owns Bubba, so he is very hard to get a hold of from what I hear, but all we would need is for him to get a ruler or tape measure next to this big fish and take a picture

that way we will finally know for sure its size

the fish resides in Grove City, Ohio by the way

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI Posted on May 1 2003, 02:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well as Wes said Jason Bolin now owns Bubba, so he is very hard to get a hold of from what I hear, but all we would need is for him to get a ruler or tape measure next to this big fish and take a picture

that way we will finally know for sure its size
Wow Nate, good of you to think of that. And since its Jason, the photo better have a ruler shown.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.