Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have what i believe to be a chitala lopis now last night i did a few things to his tank i added black gravel (he never had gravel before) i added a rock , a plant, and a fake piece of drift wood. and I also added a red tail black shark now i am wondering, would the changes to the tank be the most likely reason for not eating.

Also now i am trying to get him used to light so i put the hood back on coverd the light with some screen as this dulls the light substantially i dont know maybe i did to much at once and stressed him alot any help would be great thanks

2,170 Posts
Does your fish have black spots on side? If so you what you may have is not in fact Chitala Lopis but Chitala Chitala (aka Notopterus) . I have owned many of these and in my experience they are always more active and comfortable in low light environments. I am under the impression that they are nocturnal but I'm not 100% sure. From what i've observed they prefer low light or darkness. Sounds to me like whichever species of Chitala you have, he is likely just freaked out from all the changes you are making in the tank. Give him time and he will adjust.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Is he brown with a black stripe going down the center of him? If so african all the way-Hard to tell for sure from those pics!!!!

When i first got my clown knife he was interested in ne thing other then live feedings-And that was with starving him for nearly 3 months at the 3.5 inch mark-i almost killed him and had to give into live feedings!!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
dont know but maybe if these are any better.. if you can tell me what he is for sure man that would be great cuz im still not 100%... now that u mention it maybe he is not as silver as i thaught

Attachments

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
you sir have an african knife then-Can be a very picky eater-Most certainly get him off of live feeding as quickly as possible-If you haven't already-

I have what i believe to be a chitala lopis now last night i did a few things to his tank i added black gravel (he never had gravel before) i added a rock , a plant, and a fake piece of drift wood. and I also added a red tail black shark now i am wondering, would the changes to the tank be the most likely reason for not eating.

Also now i am trying to get him used to light so i put the hood back on coverd the light with some screen as this dulls the light substantially i dont know maybe i did to much at once and stressed him alot any help would be great thanks
Yes the changes to his tank is what has most likely caused him to stop eating-They are a pretty fragile fish-

Need to have low light for these guys-Or should I say they prefer it more-Alot of hiding spots is recomended-

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
o yea hes eating alot now i added some more fish in with him lol and now he seems more comfortable and he eats like a pig now he has a clown knife as a friend and they actually hang out together with no figting .. they dont eat live food only bloodworms and some other fish foods right now. but thanks for the id man i appreciate it .

2,170 Posts
AK would be the man to give advice on the african knife. I myself am a seasoned clown knife keeper and I can tell you right off the bat that unless you have a large setup you may run in to some problems. In any case i'm actually pretty ignorant about african knives, but if it stays significantly smaller than the clown knife it will likely end up as a meal down the road, as well as every other fish small enough to fit in your clown's mouth. Featherbacks can be quite vicious at times, and are efficient hunters and survivalists.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
AK would be the man to give advice on the african knife. I myself am a seasoned clown knife keeper and I can tell you right off the bat that unless you have a large setup you may run in to some problems. In any case i'm actually pretty ignorant about african knives, but if it stays significantly smaller than the clown knife it will likely end up as a meal down the road, as well as every other fish small enough to fit in your clown's mouth. Featherbacks can be quite vicious at times, and are efficient hunters and survivalists.
You are 100% right too sir-Down the road they will need to be seperated-You may "think" they are bestof friends-But like stated as sson as that clown can fit that african in his mouth-he's a goner unfortunately-The African is a very docile fish usually and will not harm very often if at all-Likes low lit tanks and will be pretty easy to train for hand feeding and prepared meals-If you haven't gotten him started on feeders yet-then dont-It will be extremely hard to get him off of them-Let me know if you need n e more info sir!!!

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
So the other tank mates are as follows then?
clown knife
african knife
red tail shark

Is there ne thing else in the tank besides these fish?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts