Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday morning i found half of my pleco stuck to the filter intake. No biggy though, he only cost me a couple bucks. Also lately my reds have been going crazy with the pastic plants in the tank. They constantly rip it out of the gravel and throw em around the tank. Ive also noticed small piece of the plants floating around. Just to be safe i took out the plastic plants, i dont want them eating the plastic and it getting stuck in their stomaches or somewhere. So i got some real plants. Is there anything i should know about putting plants in with my piranas?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would'nt know jack s--- about real plants and such but one thing for sure I do know about my p's behavior with the fake ones in my tank is they have recently become accustomed to attacking my plants also. They have already destroyed 2 of the larger ones and I'm pretty sure they know that plastic is not a living organism and also has no apparent taste...I really would'nt worry about them swallowing anything.

I think it might also be a stress thing ? my p's did'nt start aggresively attacking the plants until I introduced the yellow ternetzi into the tank. Seeing as how he is twice their size, they are a bit upset that ' their ' home is not quite as much their home as it was....sort of a control thing ?

have you introduced any other fish recently that could be considered competition to them ?

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Glad to hear it glow because now instead of digesting plastic they can get the greens they need. Plus the plants look better sucks about your pleco as long as you are not upset at it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pcrose said:
instead of digesting plastic they can get the greens they need.
Thats what my thinking was
. I realize they would probably know that the platic isnt living, but still, i just wanted to be safe just in case they are really swallowing some of it when they rip it up
As for changing the environment i havent really done anything. They have just recently started to get agressive with the plants, no new fish added or anything. And thanks for the plant name, i only bought 3 so far, they didnt have much stuff in at the time, so when the lfs shipment comes in ill grab a whole lot more, and get some pics up.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Depends on which plant you purcahse. Each plant has their own care. I would go for a onion plant and amazon sword plants and possibaly java fern for your tank. All those requires medium expose to light. If your piranhas are chewing fake plants get ready to shredded live plants too. Also, if you decide to plant your tank you might want to invest in a CO2 diffuser to have your plantts gorw nice and green. =) Lastly make shure you dont have any snail/snail eggs in the plant. Doa quick rinse and rub the leafs to make shure.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoa i never thought about snail eggs getting into my water through the plants. If that had occured to me i would have rinsed the plants a lot more than i did. I did do a quick rinse, hopefully thats enough. I didnt see any snails in the tanks that the plants came out of so that hopefully puts me in the clear. As for the CO2 is that neccesary? Also how do these work, and how much $? could i maybe blow some air with a straw into the water instead?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts