Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am having a little problem and would like a bit of your help if possible. My water parameters are absolutely whacked out.

PH-6.8
Ammonia-6.1
Nitrate-5
Nitrite-0
KH-0 (this is what I do not understand)

I obviously need to raise the KH which should take care of my ammonia problem. I have a 37 gallon tank which is going to be soon upgraded to better suit my two little babies (RB's). My question is how much baking soda should I add to the tank. I am guessing this is the most convenient and rapid way to do it. My RB's are getting sluggish so I need to address this problem quickly. I do have a KH booster chemical but I am a bit weary to use it unless it is suggested that I should. I could not figure out why my ammonia was so high but now it makes sense since I have no KH value. I would greatly value your suggestions.

Thanks for your time

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
Get a new kH test kit. Impossible to have 0 kH unless you used 100% RO water. Plus your pH would crash. kH has nothing to do with ammonia.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
PH-6.8
Ammonia-6.1
Nitrate-5
Nitrite-0
KH-0 (this is what I do not understand)
If your pH is 6.8, there is nothing to worry about. Do not add baking soda, it would raise the pH easily up to 8.0 and then because you have a very high ammonium level, the water would become corrossive (due to hydroxide ions). Try to get the tank cycled first. Get yourself a decent bio media filter (canister filter).

Harry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your help. I was thinking that since the nitrite feed off the KH for energy having no KH would mean they have no energy source. I have never in my life had this problem. Up until two weeks ago my water was perfect. I was pretty sure that I knew what I was doing up until now.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts