Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 75 gal and for now until i get my ro unit i've been just using tap water in the tank. well my gh and kh are like at 14d. Not to mention its hoorible for my plants but will it affect the 4 baby rb's at all? I have peat in my filter and i've tried water softner pillows but they only work like two times and then they're shot. Any other ideas on how to soften the water?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Get an RO unit that is setup to soften water. I have horrible water where I live and anytime I do changes I just plug it into the kitchen sink and run a long hose to the tanks.

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,712 Posts
so i have a 75 gal and for now until i get my ro unit i've been just using tap water in the tank. well my gh and kh are like at 14d. Not to mention its hoorible for my plants but will it affect the 4 baby rb's at all? I have peat in my filter and i've tried water softner pillows but they only work like two times and then they're shot. Any other ideas on how to soften the water?
14 isnt really THAT bad. Pre-reverse osmosis my readings were both above 25. I will tell you that going the ro route is great for the fish and plants but it does become cumbersome. Water changes that used to take 5 minutes per tank now take me 4x longer. The initial cost is also somewhat high. There is the cost of the r/o unit, a good quality mixing container, good quality water pump,rebuilding agents and on top of all that you have the continued costs of replacing filter every few months. If this is something you are seriously interested in I will gladly help you out in getting you situated.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
KH values of dKH 2- 10 (35 - 150 ppm) are OK. For GH the typical values would be dGH 2-15 (35 - 225 ppm).

What is important is the pH, not the KH nor GH. So what is the pH of your tank water?

Harry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts