Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to the piranah keeping world so i figured you guys could give me some advice. i three rbp in a 10 gal tank( they are about an inch in length). i put them in the small tank so they could get there food a little easier( they eat bloodworms right now). i have a 55 gal and plan on getting a 125 gal soon. the only tank mates they will have is 2 plecos and a red belly pacu that is about 8 inches long. how long should i wait to introduce them in the larger tank, do you think there would be a conflict in the tank, and when should i begin to add some meat to their diet.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
...since your new its easy to make misteaks...im not one of those people who freaks on beginners....so 1st off..a 10g tank is way to small for any piranha...neverless 3 of them in there....im assuming aswell that your pacu is in the 55 (technically thats getting pretty small for him aswell) your 3 u got would have to be 2-3" smaller then the pacu to get tossed in a tank with him w/o MAJOR problems happening....i know your trying to do right by putting them in a tank so food is easier to get at...im going to guarentee you that people will bitch hard about your scenerio, saying to take the p's back to wherever or sell them until you have a proper housing for them....your 3 p's wont grow much in a 10g...i would strongly VERY STRONGLY advise you to get that bigger tnak...toss your pacu in it and toss the 3 in there...then they will grow nice and quick....hope this helped you out....and to size matter they can grow 1-2" a month in a proper environment

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
It's the 20 gal per fish rule. But that flys out the window when you get into you real big tanks 180+ gal. You should buy at least a 75 gallon.

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
get rid of the pacu, he might eat your piranhas and he will get huge and ugly.

other than that, just keep reading info on here, and post any questions you may have.

·
Registered
415 Posts
just take the pacu and throw him on the grill
becasue yes they get big and ugly and they might eat your p's and they really dont do much but get big and eat
good luck

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
becasue yes they get big and ugly and they might eat your p's and they really dont do much but get big and eat
good luck
There is a severe distain for pacus around here.

But realistically, the pacu will be way too much competition for the baby p's for food. In fact, they will probably be a little intimidated by him. Not good for piranha growth. The pacu will grow regardless of anything, even in a tank full of piss!

·
Registered
415 Posts
good luck
There is a severe distain for pacus around here.

But realistically, the pacu will be way too much competition for the baby p's for food. In fact, they will probably be a little intimidated by him. Not good for piranha growth. The pacu will grow regardless of anything, even in a tank full of piss!

[/quote]
yeah thats where they should be growing in a tank of piss

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
First you need to take all your P's and Pacu out of the 10gal tank now. And put everything in the 55gal for now and try you best to get the bigger 125gal with in a few months other wise you are going to stunt the P's growth and you will always have very small P's. So the faster you solve this problem the better. Good luck

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
IMO upgrade as fast a you can, sell the pacus and the plecos...Chances are they are going to die anyway..

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts

Ok your tank RIGHT NOW. is fine. however not for long.
Skip the 55 gal and go straght to the 125. As a 55 gal is lso not approperate for the life of these fish so getting it as a middle stopping point is really just a waste of money. I would suggest getting them in the larger tank as soon as possible. If they are hungry they will find their food. they will learn to look for food when they see you.

I would also suggest ditching the pacu. Even the 125 will not be approperate for a full grown Pacu. so get rid of him while he's still small. don't expect to get much for him if anything at all.

Plecos are fine but eventually will get eaten by the P's.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
By "adding meat" I hope you mean fish. IMO you can start feeding fish whenever, especially if you rip tiny pieces and drop them they will usually get them before they hit the gravel. I usually would keep putting little mouth size bites until they start hitting the ground before they get ate, by then the piranha have bulged bellies, and grow fast if you do that a few times a day.

·
Registered
570 Posts

Ok your tank RIGHT NOW. is fine. however not for long.
Skip the 55 gal and go straght to the 125. As a 55 gal is lso not approperate for the life of these fish so getting it as a middle stopping point is really just a waste of money. I would suggest getting them in the larger tank as soon as possible. If they are hungry they will find their food. they will learn to look for food when they see you.

I would also suggest ditching the pacu. Even the 125 will not be approperate for a full grown Pacu. so get rid of him while he's still small. don't expect to get much for him if anything at all.

Plecos are fine but eventually will get eaten by the P's.

I also had my first 3 P's in a 10 gal first then 5 in a 33 and now they are in a 125. Just upgrade as soon as you can. they should be fine for the first little while.

Good Luck

-Justin

·
Registered
429 Posts
i kept 3 p's in a 55 for 2 years before i had to move long distance and sold them to lfs, IMO 55 is too tight for 3 adults, i currently am growing 4 out in a 55 but NEED upgrade soon... thank u student loans

1 - 20 of 21 Posts