Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Ron at Fish post... I asked him about getting the cariba's in that is listed as arriving soon on his site. He said they were delayed again. Possibly up to a week. I am posting this because I asked him acouple of questions about caribas since I had him on the line. I have a 180 tank and asked him what was a good number to have in there and he told me 10. This seems a little high, when I read on here by most guys say 6-7 for a 180. Giving about 25 gallons per fish for life. I asked him this and he said having 6-7 was a bad idea because there would be to much space to claim as territory but with 10 they would be better off. Im sure he knows what he is talking about but I just wanted to get some other opinions on this??
Thanks! Jake

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have great luck with 10 in 180 for me. They do fine and I don't see they fighting at all. They shoal together and simply follow each other. No territories mark out at all.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
hydroshutter said:
the 20-25gallon per fish rule doesn't really apply anymore.
In a tank that size. Overstocking is practiced alot with good results. I have overstocked. And will do again. 20 gal per fish is a rule for tanks under 80 gal. You can always add a couple more when you have an adequite tank.
Piraya are an exception. I want 40 to 50 gal per fish for potential size reasons. I want them to get as big as possable.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
3 or 4 piraya in a 180 gallon....very boring tank. Pygos grow pretty fast at first but slow down a lot after 6". I think 10 is a good number for any pygo in a 180. I think it is easier to remove a fish than to add so it is better to get more than you need and remove a few as they grow.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You can also allow themselves to determine how many Ps should be in the tank. They will remove themselves.
Just buy a bunch and let natural selection take control. HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
500 Posts
grosse gurke said:
I think it is easier to remove a fish than to add so it is better to get more than you need and remove a few as they grow.
I could not agree with that more,once your Pygos grow and get tight they may never except anything elase into the shoal and destroy it.I once seen a shoal of 18 RBP's that got along great but they started to out grow the tank so I took a couple of them over to my place for about 2 months.We tried to introduce the ones I took back into the shoal and they were killed within 24 hours :sad: I would over stock like Grosse said and remove them in the future hell I would go with 12 or more.Caribe are easy to sell

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
10 for a 180g is a good starting number. Need to create chaos to keep them from singling each other out.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
hydroshutter said:
the 20-25gallon per fish rule doesn't really apply anymore.
Very true, especially in bigger sized tanks!!
But at the same time, you'll still need to realize the temperment of some of these Ps.

They can be more territorial with less Ps and more space, vice versa with more Ps and less space. I had 8 in my 125 and shoaled nicely. But since selling the other 5, Ive seen more fighting within the 3 Ps left than all the times when all 8 were together.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
as long as you have the filtration, your all set.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Raptor said:
grosse gurke said:
3 or 4 piraya in a 180 gallon....very boring tank.
Maybe. But when they get to be 14" and bigger. (I hope) Not so boring anymore.
I agree with you there. Let us know how that is comming along in 7 or 8 years.

Im just kidding ya, but it would take a long time to get them to that size, that is why I would get more and when the tank starts to look cramped, take a few out. This way at least you have an active tank while you wait for them to reach a size like that.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
nitrofish said:
as long as you have the filtration, your all set.
yup as long as you have good overturn....it will be work out perfectly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts