Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear, the ignorance he discusses is his own.
heres the video: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/Vi...7&catId=104
those fish look like pacus to me. anyone else?

Piranhas confiscated from Plano aquarium store
08:15 AM CST on Wednesday, December 20, 2006

By STEVE STOLER / WFAA-TV

PLANO - Concerns have arisen that piranhas may be in the wrong hands in North Texas after game wardens found them being sold out of a Plano store.

Also Online

WFAA-TV's Steve Stoler reports

While it is against the law to sell, possess or bring a piranha into Texas, a Texas game warden said owners in an East Plano aquarium store ordered 40 red-bellied piranhas from a Taiwanese distributor.

Texas Parks and Wildlife officials were tipped about the piranhas after a customer saw them and contacted authorities.

"It's like people wanting to own mountain lions and leopards and stuff," said Garry Collins, a game warden for Texas Parks and Wildlife. "I don't know, I guess it's just got to be the thrill of having one."

The confiscated piranhas were young and small - but full grown, they could get as big as seven pounds.

Wildlife experts said local fish would quickly begin to disappear if someone managed to put a piranha in a Texas waterway.

"They're very aggressive," said Jim Dunlap of the Plano Outdoor Learning Center. "They might wipe out total species in our waterways and we just don't want to take that chance."

The owners of the aquarium store claim they ordered the piranha by mistake and thought they had actually ordered pacu, a relative of the piranha that look similar. But the game wardens said the invoice showed they ordered red-bellied piranhas and then put a sign on a tank advertising the same.

"I would like to think that there was a small amount of ignorance involved, because surely a human being would not knowingly sell a piranha," Dunlap said.

Charges are still pending.

The store owners could be fined up to $500 per fish.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My 7 Year old said those are Pacus and they are it's just that the paperwork says Piranhas and he was selling them as Piranhas so he can't fight it and say there Pacu's and Texass wildlife needs to do more research on there Fish species ID.

·
Registered
841 Posts
"It's like people wanting to own mountain lions and leopards and stuff," said Garry Collins, a game warden for Texas Parks and Wildlife. "I don't know, I guess it's just got to be the thrill of having one."
Anyone else find this statment really funny!!!!

I am sorry my piranah ate your baby.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
what kind of a lfs dont know what the difference between a P and a pacu is, same goes for the texas fish wardens

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Stupid Americans...

I mean Stupid Texas Law.

Wipe out all the other fish my ass.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I swear, the ignorance he discusses is his own.
heres the video: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/Vi...7&catId=104
those fish look like pacus to me. anyone else?

Piranhas confiscated from Plano aquarium store
08:15 AM CST on Wednesday, December 20, 2006

By STEVE STOLER / WFAA-TV

PLANO - Concerns have arisen that piranhas may be in the wrong hands in North Texas after game wardens found them being sold out of a Plano store.

Also Online

WFAA-TV's Steve Stoler reports

While it is against the law to sell, possess or bring a piranha into Texas, a Texas game warden said owners in an East Plano aquarium store ordered 40 red-bellied piranhas from a Taiwanese distributor.

Texas Parks and Wildlife officials were tipped about the piranhas after a customer saw them and contacted authorities.

The confiscated piranhas were young and small - but full grown, they could get as big as seven pounds.

Wildlife experts said local fish would quickly begin to disappear if someone managed to put a piranha in a Texas waterway.

"They're very aggressive," said Jim Dunlap of the Plano Outdoor Learning Center. "They might wipe out total species in our waterways and we just don't want to take that chance."

The owners of the aquarium store claim they ordered the piranha by mistake and thought they had actually ordered pacu, a relative of the piranha that look similar. But the game wardens said the invoice showed they ordered red-bellied piranhas and then put a sign on a tank advertising the same.

"I would like to think that there was a small amount of ignorance involved, because surely a human being would not knowingly sell a piranha," Dunlap said.

Charges are still pending.

The store owners could be fined up to $500 per fish.
those R pacu

·
Registered
775 Posts
yeah well with the way things are heating up around here they will be illegal in all states soon, and it's gonna suck! I guess we will all have to have "secret rooms" in our houses to keep them or something because if they outlaw them here, mine arent going anywhere. the hell with that

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i swear. they would ban the owning of aquariums if they could.

that warden should be fired, he doesnt know what hes doing, nor does he have any idea what hes talking about.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts