Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finnally become the happy owner of a python system. The 30% water change on my 55gal took me like 10-15 minutes instead of the usual hour. For the aquarist, its the best thing since sliced bread.
No more spills, soaked carpet, heavy buckets, etc.

I'm just worried on the way to add conditionner. I have the big als 16oz bottle with the little drip tip so what I did was gently sqeeze drops into the pythons stream of water. Sometimes I would squeeze too hard and alot would come out. The guy at my lfs said to simply add the amount of conditionner needed first, and then add the water. He said the chlorine would immediately be illiminated once the water enters the tank. Is he correct? What do u guys think is best?

a) First change the water and add the conditionner to the tank at the end?

b) Add required amount of conditionner first, then add the new water? (like the lfs guy said)

c) Slowly add drops ( one second apart ) into the stream coming from the python.

I was also wondering if its possible to add too much conditionner to a tank? Would it harm my fish?
Hope u guys can help.

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Dunno since I don't have a python but I can tell you that you can not overdose on conditioner. During treatment in my rhom tank for hydra I had to replace maybe 80-100% of the water in there and because I was so scared of a chlorine spike I was doing triple doses of water conditioner and my fish was completely fine.

·
Serras n Snakes
3,571 Posts
IMO the Python sytem is well worth the money. I just add the conditioner when I'm done doing the water change and I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have a pytho (Best thing ever, why hasnt it won a Nobel Prize yet?) and what I do is drain the water, then add conditioner and wait a few minutes before adding new water to the tank.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
You can place conditioner in tank before or during refill. The ammonia and chloramines are neutralized almost instantly through a chemical reaction. You cannot overdose unless you're using ammo lock. Ammo lock can be overdosed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts